What is IRCD ?

hgurol

Guppy
One of my customers asked if our servers have IRCD support. I have never heard it before I but guess its a kind of irc deamon. I dont know much about irc stuff.

Whats it all about and can I provide that kind of a service ?

thx

hgurol said:
One of my customers asked if our servers have IRCD support. I have never heard it before I but guess its a kind of irc deamon. I dont know much about irc stuff.

Whats it all about and can I provide that kind of a service ?

thx
IRCD is indeed an IRC daemon. - a server that allows people to connect to it and chat. It also connects to other servers to provide users multiple points of access to a "chat network".

The only way you could fill his request would be with a VPS account since it is effectively a linux box sitting on the Internet. He would have to install and set up everything himself.

That is, assuming that JodoHost doesn't have a policy against running such a service on a VPS box. I never looked into that part of the usage agreement but I'm sure that it would fall under the same rules that websites do for content.

Hatton

IRC servers (on VPS account) are unfortunately not allowed under the JodoHost Terms of Service.
So at the very least you should contact JodoHost to see if something can be arranged somehow. I wouldn't go about installing any ircd without discussing it with them first.

Can someone from JH comment on this issue please?

- Is the VPS only solution to provide a IRCD service? If it is, Im gonna think about it twice, Im not sure to go ahead that direction with my limited linux knowledge.
- Is IRCD is allowed with JH Terms and etc thingy?

Thank you...

You cannot host an IRC server, that is at least what our TOS states but that was prior to our VPS or dedicated services.

I'll discuss this with our staff and if we feel that we can remove the IRC clause we will and inform all customers in 24 hours

There are some companies around specialized in irc server hosting should the policy stand. I don't mean to keep from keep you from using JodoHost services, but if you know nothing about Linux, this might be preferable as such plans are bound to come at least partially preconfigured for IRC server usage.

thx for the input SubSpace.... as I have already said; a) my linux knowledge is not "nothing" but "limited" b) I dont prefer to go with the VPS solution either.

OK, I have made my call. I know how to say "no" to my customers ;)

Yash, if thats only for me, please do not discuss the IRC issue with your staff and leave the regarding policy as it is.

Thank All :)

Back