What's Up With This?

Bliss

Perch
Lately my site has been reverting itself to the way it was a few days ago, making me lose some data on the site, but when I check the files, the data isn't actually "lost". The data in the database in still intact, but it's not showing. So what is happening?

That may be because your domain is in propogation (i.e. sometimes your old site is pulled up)

Yes I am aware of this fact, but I checked many whois servers and they all showed that the nameservers for my domain was ns1.jodoshared.com and ns2.jodoshared.com so I would expect my site to be up, unless the "correct" files are on the old server? How do I tell if I'm on the new server?

Bliss said:
Yes I am aware of this fact, but I checked many whois servers and they all showed that the nameservers for my domain was ns1.jodoshared.com and ns2.jodoshared.com so I would expect my site to be up, unless the "correct" files are on the old server? How do I tell if I'm on the new server?

Bliss,
I ran into this problem too and it nearly drove me crazy. Even though all the whois servers I checked had the new nameservers, it took almost a week for my ISP's boxes to get all the updated information. This was especially troublesome when I was trying to test my new mailboxes. Pop3 was talking to the new server, and smtp was talking to the old server. So I would send a test email, but could not retrieve it...

My sites are .NET and I modified one of my pages so that it would get the server's name and IP address and insert the information into an html comment. Viewing the source and reading the comment allowed me to determine which box the page came from. I, like you, was amazed that it kept switching back and forth for a few days. I'm not sure if you are running .NET, but if you need the code, I'll post it. Just let me know.

riley

If you guys have problems with this after a few days it could be that your computers DNS is still cached. To fix this, go to Run (from the start menu) and type in "ipconfig /flushdns" (without quotes).

Each time i have changed my servers i did this after about 3 days because i was still getting my old server. After that i got the new server everytime.

Just as a precaution: have you cleared your cache and set IE to reload the page 'each visit to the page'?

What's the URL, btw?

Both of those links are up and look exactly the same for me. I checked your websites and all of them are up

Try using Crtl + R to refresh

Yash said:
Both of those links are up and look exactly the same for me. I checked your websites and all of them are up

Try using Crtl + R to refresh

I just tried both links and they are different.

The http://d518602.jd30.jodohost.com/ link shows a lot of information on the right-hand side; the http://peachfuzz.ziggle.org/ link has nothing on the right-hand side except a message that states, "There are no entries for the selected month."

This is the first time I've ever visited, so I don't think it's a cache problem. HOWEVER, if I ping peachfuzz.ziggle.org, I get 66.36.229.77, which is the new server. Very odd...

Here's a thought, have you edited your Directory Index settings on the new server to be the same as they were on the old server? Perhaps the page is coming from the new server, but it's an old page (default.php or whatever) that you don't use anymore. Once again, I'm grasping at straws...

riley

Okay, I'm getting very frustrated with this, and I understand that there's nothing much anyone can do, but can someone tell me how I can tell if I'm logging on to the new servers? I have a feeling that every change I make is actually taking place on the old servers and that the instant access domain is also on the old server.

Ahh, nevermind. I figured it out. I kept logging in to the old CP because I forgot about the new Cp.

Also, Yash, you can delete my account on the old server now.

Back