Which Forum Software ?

OJM

Perch
I currently run Snitz Forums, but would like to change to something else, due to performance issues etc, so I'd thought I'd ask here to find out the best ones.

If you had the choice of installing and running any forum software that is available on the market, which one would you go for, and why?

Preferably I'd like to hear your comments on the questions for both paid and free forum software.

Thanks,
Oli

www.webwizguide.com

personally i think its one of the best forums out there

you said you use Snitz - WWF is asp too, and i think theres instructions on how to convert from snitz to wwf

also being a ASP Developer its the best to edit as its asp

Yeah I did some major editing on a WebWizForum for a client - http://breakthe.e29.emotive-designs.co.uk/forum/

I was looking into moving from Snitz to WWF, and was involved in testing a program that someone was developing, which was brilliant and extremely simple, but had some small glitches. Unfortunately, the developer seems to have disappeared so the program was never finished - http://www.webwizguide.info/wwf_forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=7505&KW=uptempoair&PN=0&TPN=8

Because I run quite a big and busy community, I'm looking for a forum which is good on performance, so either ASP or PHP is good for me.

Thanks for your feedback, I might continue the conversion over to WWF.

WWG can hande a high load if you use anything other than an Access database.

The Terminator 3 website forum uses WWG and is very high traffic.

To be very honest, a WWG forum with 50 active users is less load on the server than a Simple Machines, YabbSE, or VB forum in my expierences recently.

I use WWF and generally have 100 to 200 active users at any one time during most of the day. Seems to perform quite well most of the time, although it seems to slow down to a crawl from time to time, then go back to regular speed. I'm not sure why that is, but I suspect server load rather than a performance issue with WWF. Otherwise it would be slow all the time.

I've just swapped over to WWF from my Snitz forum -

Our users have posted 97638 Posts in 2348 Topics in 16 Forum(s)
We have 4845 Forum Members

I've also converted it from Access to MSSQL (saying I, I actually mean 'Emagine' did), but the performance doesn't seem that great. I only have about 20 active users at the most, and probably only 10 on average throughout the day. Is there anyway to improve the performance of it, as it seems to yo-yo up and down?

The forum's located at;
www.ckyalliance.co.uk

I have always used phpbb2 not had a problem with it.

don't know about server load or performace its been working nicely.

Stephen said:
OJM,

The upcoming 8.0 improves SQLQueries, and has quite a performance gain.

Yeah, there's been quite some talk about it - most of it negative because of the time it's taken to release it. I don't think people realise the work involved in it all. That, and some people are extremely unimpatient / rude.

I'm looking forward to version 8.0 though, and will install as soon as it's out :D (as long as it's be an easy upgrade).

The thing that's got me though, since I upgraded from Access to MS SQL, is that the load times are slower. Eg, a search on my forum took 11.6719 seconds with Access, but the same search sometimes timesout, but when it doesn't, it takes about 18.1719 seconds with MS SQL. Another example is just the main page of the forum - 1.5 seconds with Access, but 4.9 with MS SQL :(

ill have a look at the index's etc for you.. but they do take a little while to kickin and be useful...

Emagine said:
ill have a look at the index's etc for you.. but they do take a little while to kickin and be useful...

He appears everywhere! :D That would be great, but don't worry if you can't. I didn't know if it was a db issue or the server.

OJM,

I was having 0.8 and 1.4 on load times, I was not registered so I couldn't use all the features, but the main forum was not that slow.

hay giuce i am also looking for a forum of PHP.
from where i can find losts of material related for php.
also in a short time i will applay forum section in my exsisting web application check the site great forum so wait for some time work is under construction then u can share your views...............

I assume you have not considered phpBB or vBulletin because you are on a windows box. I think vBulletin is far more advanced than anything else available.

KCWebMonkey said:
i do like phpBB, but vBulletin is expensive...

Yes, I have about 25 active phpbb forums running, and I am satisfied with the software. vBulletin is a lot better. I just converted a large phpbb forum to vBulletin. While it costs $85/year, I'll easily make that back in advertising (but this is an established, busy forum).

Back