Which is your preferred editor to write ASP code?

Notepad all the way

dont like WYSIWYG editors - tend to add alot of useless code like dreamweaver did alot of
"<b></b><font color="#000000"><font size="2">text</font></font>"

and it can take a while to load the programs if all you want is to edit the code direct
well it takes longer to load than notepad

i love the control notepad offers i remember back when i went to WinXP i was really happy with the feature that tells you which line your on, Win2k and Win98 didnt have that - and when ASP says "error on line 124" you dont want to count all the lines

so NotePad it is

*edit* why does the link for TextPad take me to google? *edit*

Scotty_32 said:
*edit* why does the link for TextPad take me to google? *edit*

I feel it, I have written the memory Link and without at least verifying it (serious error :doh: ), already I have edited is textpad not texpad, I needed one "t" on the previous link :attn:

Yeah, I really have been loving TextPad, it use for or many years developing all "engine" of the applications, and I only use once in a while Frontpage or Dreamweaver for the "screen captures" that soon will be made dynamic, logically after cleaning the code ;)

If Dreamweaver Or FrontPage?, good, the one that more comfortable it has left or knows each one better (or any other WYSIWYG editor) 8)

I'm a longtime Homesite user, but I have to say Dreamweaver is the way to go. I've got it running all the time, so startup speed is not a problem. If you're writing just straight ASP code only, then textpad is good, but if you mix in html then a validating editor is better. I seem to inherit a lot of sites written by hand by notepad purists, and their html is really awful - too full of errors, invalid syntax, unclosed tags.

Strange someone would say Dreamweaver inserts unnecessary code - it's one of the cleanest wysiwyg editors out there. Then again, I use it mainly in code view. Sure if you use it in wysiwyg view and make colored text, it will put in FONT tags. But that's not the program's fault - that's what you told it to do. But attach a proper CSS stylesheet and select styles properly, and you'll have clean, valid XHTML code every time.

Sailor said:
I'm a longtime Homesite user, but I have to say Dreamweaver is the way to go. I've got it running all the time, so startup speed is not a problem. If you're writing just straight ASP code only, then textpad is good, but if you mix in html then a validating editor is better. I seem to inherit a lot of sites written by hand by notepad purists, and their html is really awful - too full of errors, invalid syntax, unclosed tags.

Strange someone would say Dreamweaver inserts unnecessary code - it's one of the cleanest wysiwyg editors out there. Then again, I use it mainly in code view. Sure if you use it in wysiwyg view and make colored text, it will put in FONT tags. But that's not the program's fault - that's what you told it to do. But attach a proper CSS stylesheet and select styles properly, and you'll have clean, valid XHTML code every time.

That's almost exactly what I was going to say...

all wysiwyg editors sucks, even dreamweaver. Using dreamweaver purely for the coding is ok, but I have to say I'm a homesite user. The main reasons I like homesite is for the configurable color coding of the code, macros and the fact that I know every keyboard shortcut there is for it (many years of use).

Not only does dreamweaver 8.0 write very clean code when used correctly, it does basic tasks such as recordsets, repeat regions, and response.writes (in the form of <%=x%>) in about half the time it would take for a very fast typist to write it all out by hand. I veryify each and every XHTML 1.0 Strict page with the W3C validator and seldom have any errors.

The split feature which allows you to pinpoint bits of code in relation to a pages appearance is invaluable, especially for those 2000+ line pages.

Use a simple text editor if you like, I'll stick with a product which dramatically increases productivity.

I use Dreamweaver mainly for the color coding, the site management and built in FTP server. Can't say that I've ever really used the design/split views though as I try and do all of my coding through response.writes to keep the speed up.

I use the Microsoft Script Editor (mse7.exe) that comes with Office. It seems to gobble a lot of memory but it works great for coding.

Back