Win 5 Deleted Thread

Any particular reason why my thread was deleted this morning? I really would like the opportunity to at least see a response before you delete my comments. I thought deleting threads wasn't part of your game plan anymore?

Again - there were another two outages this morning. Comment please? Having no explanation to give my customers does not go down very well.

I was just making an announcement. Infact I just did. I left a message in the thread for about 30 or 40 minutes before deleting it and making an announcement (according to our forum policy)

But since you asked, I'll go into the details. There is a certain application on Win5 that is eating up the memory very quickly. We did two preventive IIS recycles on Win5 in the last 12 hours to free up memory to prevent the server from slowing down or crashing

We have identified what has been causing occasional crashes and ASP/ASP.NET outofmemory errors on our Win2000 servers. Win2000 has an internal limit. It supports a maximum of 4GB of virtual space for which a maximum 2GB of space is reserved for applications and the remaining 2GB for windows services and kernel. This problem only came to light to us when we were investigating a Win6 issue that happened a few days ago.

Almost every issue on our Windows 2000 servers have been caused by the application memory pool filling up and causing everything to error out. About 2 months back, we configured ASP.NET to recyle when it hit a certain amount of memory. However, we were not aware of the application pool limit and we hand't configured IIS to recycle.

What we have now done is configured IIS to also recycle when it hits a certain amount of RAM, what I termed as a preventive recycle. But recycles bring the server down for 60 to 120 seconds. So we are also working to identify applications with memory leaks. Win6 has had absolutely no issues since my announcement purely because of these efforts

Thanks for the detail Yash. Appreciated, as is the teams work to correct these problems.

Please enlighten me further, but I would think that servers with as much RAM as you have shouldn't be getting anywhere close to capacity under normal circumstances, right? If so, then I would assume that you are either over-extended, or you have certain customers who are using more than their fair share of resources. Can you identify these people and remove them? Surely if they require so much memory, they should be using dedicated servers rather than causing the rest of us these continued problems?

Thanks again for the explanation. As always, you go into more detail than I would ever hope to get from most hosts.

Windows 2000 Server supports upto 4GB of RAM. This is the operating system used by almost every windows hosting company out there

Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Datacenter editions support upto 36GB.

With the configuration we run (Dual Xeon servers, dual SCSI hard disks, 4GB RAM, etc.) should be sufficient to host about 5000 websites for the average hosting company. We put no more than 900 to 1000 sites on each of these servers.

The problem is purely bad code. And yes, we are working on it. We have always worked on it and have always asked customers affecting the experience of other's to leave our servers or put them on test servers so they can isolate their problem. Win5 is performing very well and we are monitoring the RAM usage very closely. The problems we had in the past should be a thing of the past. We may have to recycle IIS maybe 1 or 2 times more in the next few days but thats probably enough time we need to locate the problematic website. We have not restarted any of these servers in somewhile now

our windows 2003 servers have not been facing any such issues. Win2 has had zero downtime in the last few months. The reason is because Microsoft realised this issue and increased the application quota to 3GB and kernel quota to 1GB

Yash said:
our windows 2003 servers have not been facing any such issues.

You have a win2003 server again? I know this is off topic, but I guess this means you resolved all the issues you had earlier in the year? I'm specifically referring to the loss of sessions that no-one could explain or fix...

NOT that I'm asking to be be moved. I have no desire to test out Win2003 again regardless of whether it's fixed or not!! I'm more than happy on win5 for now and trust you don't have to upgrade?!!

Most of the issues were caused by HSphere itself.

We are definately not upgrading our Win2000 servers to Win2003 servers. But all our new servers are Win2003

Back