Win17 Account and Transfer problems

Dennis

Guppy
Hi, I have been a loyal reseller for many years and must say I have seen JodoHost go downhill a lot recently since the last server migrations. Ticket support is also just getting worse and worse.

I am finally reaching out (screaming) for help! After Win17 had the attack on 11 Oct my clients' asp.net sites have been very slow and timing out. I was advised, the only option was to move the account (ticket FBZ-55511-698) to a new server. Although I was told there would be no downtime apart from ftp and SSL I have had terrible problems and no idea when they will be fixed. Some sites are still down after about 24hrs and no-one seems to know what is going on. I am getting complaints from clients and don't know what to tell them.

Is there someone in Jodoland who has a clue? (Super Stephen?) or can get some answers. I actually could have manually moved each domain to a new account myself with less downtime. Support say they are working on it but possible 24-48hr downtime is not acceptable!

It is also a warning to others to be very careful if you are having similar issues!

There are are few things here which i would like to put up here, when any account move is done it takes approximately 24 hrs this depends on the DNS getting updated across the globe. Regarding the .net 4 sites not working that is because hsphere is not able to add .net4 from the cp on win2003 servers we do that manually from the server side once the migration is completed, and hence the delay.

During the migration process sites are running both on source while it copies and creates on the destination server, but once they are created on destination server and DNS is changed then its up-to the DNS servers across the globe to update. And we cannot manually edit and enable .net 4 on destination server unless the site is physically created. Also we shall make extra effort to let clients know about the .net4 on win2003 that "during a migration if you are using .net4 do let us know the domains so that we can update that once its completed" I accept that we should have let you know about it, and missed it.

I am sorry that you faced this issue, we have asked even parallels about some of the automation which it should have but have not got updated response from their side, be rest assured that every issue our clients face its our duty to get it resolved and we do work on it at highest priority.

Thanks Pratik but my point is I asked "I need to know if there will be any site downtime especially for the Sitefinity sites" and the reply was "There will be no downtime during account move if you are using our nameservers for the domain. " but now even after asp.net manual changes and DNS propagation the sites are still broken and I can't do anyting! This was most important as some of the sites are used to book travel and accommodation! They are a major source of income for some clients. Now I have to deal with very unhappy clients.

I was not warned about DNS propagation. Also I was told I needed to reissue SSL which is fine but not that the whole domain would be unavailable. Yes, someone should have checked and advised if there would be potentially more problems asp.net, dns, etc. It would have been so much better for me to move the sites manually one by one.

Quite often I have to ask several times the same question in the tickets before I get a reply and quite often the support staff give only rehearsed answers which sometimes do not answer questions, then wait sometimes hours between replies, then have to repeat the problem details again when the previous messages are not read. The tickets can take days to resolve. I did not do anything to break the account but my clients have been suffering for about two weeks with slow web sites and now broken sites. It is not good enough!

I myself have been working on your account as of now and checking out things so that the sites are up asap. I can understand your frustration when clients are knocking on the door, believe me i know the situation. This is one off thing which happened, some things are our fault of which i will take it up whit my support team and make sure that clients are made aware of situation.

Having said that i noticed that your sites were using full trust and we had that enabled only for one server, and when you moved that was the missing piece. We as such do not allow full trust to run on win2003 servers, but as exception we have done this on the destination server. I will discuss this with Stephen and he will take the last call on this, as to how to handle this full trust issue, for now your sites should be up we are setting a few things and resolving the pending issues.

I assure you that we try and help out our clients as much as possible, as our goal is "Happy Client = Happy Business". Thanks once again for bringing this up, it will only help us in improving our efforts for providing better service.

Thanks again, your support is reassuring. However, there should be no full trust sites. We needed full trust on a site and I moved the domain to a new Plesk account as I could not get the site to work on HSphere 2003 or 2008 (hight trust) accounts.

The Sitefinity sites should all be running in medium trust. I noticed the security server error regarding trust settings today but I think some of the other broken domains also had this error today then they finally started to work. I have no idea why the asp trust level is an issue. All of the Sitefinity domains (working and still broken) should have nearly identical web.config and trust settings.

Dennis,

There was some issue in trust which is resolved, there was also a MS bug in the asp.net 4.0 making the site not open right which has been resolved now with a registry tweak.

Thanks guys, the Account transfer seems to have worked on all domains. This has not been a good experience and left a bitter taste in my mouth. I'm now in makeup mode with my clients which means some discounted or free work :(

Back