Win2 Outage

tanmaya

APAC Operations
Staff member
Win2 is not responding at the moment. Stephen is looking into it and will post an update soon.

I replaced the RAM on Win2, but need to order some additional RAM, as the largers chips we had on hand in stock were not matching pairs due to an existing RMA case with some RAM not working on the last buildout.

Nope didnt understand a word of what you said :(

So why is it still running s-l-o-w with databases taking an age to load etc?

Win 2 appears to suffer a lot of outage just lately, raid problems last week during back up etc etc, ALL my sites are on win 2 X( please can we sort it out for good.

Thanks,

Chris

Can you please give me the domain name. it should be working fine.
Also, Stephen has already clarified earlier that it was a RAM issue( and not a RAID issue).
We will be adding additional RAM within 24 to 48 hours to make things better. Otherwise Win2 is a very stable server.

Ok the sites are up to speed now. If you look at your IP check server monitor you will see the spikes during the period I was talking about, about 1/2 hour ago after the last outage.

Win 2 may be a 'stable' server, but not in the last couple of weeks, at least 2x outages to my knowledge, raid during backup and now ram.

As its the probably the oldest server, what frequency do you use for replacing the things as they get older?

Golden-net, we will do everything to make this server stable. There is no reason why it should be performing badly, just appears it had a bad set of hardware

golden-net said:
..As its the probably the oldest server, what frequency do you use for replacing the things as they get older?

When win2 was moved, we replaced it with new hardware in April 2005.

We are working on it. 100% CPU usage due to alot of disk swapping.. We will have things working shortly

I am sorry guys, we are going to have a little extended outage here of between 45 to 60 minutes as we sort out a number of hardware issues this server is facing. If needed we'll make a move to a standby. Hopefully we'll be putting this server in great shape once we are done.

We have also ordered new replacement parts which we have overnighted.

Atul said:
When win2 was moved, we replaced it with new hardware in April 2005.

Hope you got a good gaurentee - cos you were robbed!

Its all I need - clients complaining about even more downtime :(

BTW, win2 is currently up and has been up for 25 to 30min.

However it is still experiencing heavy CPU usage. We plan to bring down the server shortly for 10 minutes to make some hardware replacements

golden-net said:
Hope you got a good gaurentee - cos you were robbed!

Its all I need - clients complaining about even more downtime :(

We have 33 other servers that all run exceptionally well. Win2 has had a few issues in the last 2 weeks, all unrelated. We plan to ensure that once we take care of matters permanently today

Win2 ram has been completely replaced, and the system is performing much better. I had swapped some standby RAM that was 512MB sticks the first time around, and they did not resolve the initial problems, we have again replaced the RAM and it is working much much faster now.

And I am not seeing errors on the console like I was before.

It is 2GB now, which is the max that the version of windows will run, on all new servers we run Standard edition of windows which has a limit of 4GB, which we fully utilise

Thanks for all your efforts guys! Your updates and feedback are invaluable and much appreciated.

I know you don't recommend a great deal of discussion on the announcements forums, but I think they're a great method of support, and even new customers can look back and see the good interaction between staff and customers. Thanks again!

Back