Win6 Not Responding

Yash

Bass
Dated: December 25, 2005

Win6 has gone down and hasnt responded to a number of remote reboot commands. We are looking into the issue and hope to get the server back online shortly

Win6 was hard rebooted remotely by a tech after it quit responding, and after that forced a CHKDSK, I am at the Datacenter now, it is at 99% of stage 2, then has stage 3 a security descriptor check, we are going to let it run as it should not be too much longer

it is still on 100% done on the screen now, I would reboot it, but I can clearly see the hard drives working.

Win6 is being very naughty and will not get getting any gifts this year, it got past the chkdsk only to start windows and reboot itself.

I am working on this now.

Win6 is going to need a complete manual chkdsk, estimated time is 5 hours, the NTFS journal has an issue that needs to be corrected for windows to boot up.

Well, that did not work, windows will not even enter into safe mode, it just reboots, this is looking quite bad.

The windows install seems to have lost some files or settings and is rebooting itself right after completing the load of the windows 2000 splash screen, we are going to be going to the recovery console to attempt a recovery of these files that are a problem.

We believe we will be needing to do a complete Win6 recovery at this point. This means we will be working throughout this christmas to get WIn6 sites back up.

We'll update you with an ETA shortly

We are attempting to get the server to run from Recovery console. Over 40K files have been corrupted. We are working on it. If we can get it to boot, its going to be up within 1 hour. If not, its going to be a long drawn 12 to 18 hour system recovery from scratch.

We have latest file backups, and email services continue to function for all affected customers

We are doing an Acronis level sector by sector restore on Win6. This is expected to be completed within 180 minutes.

We expect the server to be available within that timeframe

Even after our best efforts. Win6 continues to blue screen. We performed a full C-level restoration

I appologise for the delay. Win6 is now being restored on a few Dual XEON Sata server. Full file restorations are tedious, and the copy process can take over 20 hours.

We are estimating the server will be fully functional by 10AM December 26th, 2005 (about 20 hours from now). We thank our customers for their cooperation. Affected customers can expect compensation under our SLA

We have the new server all up, and in place, and are working on the file restore process now.

All restoration tasks have been completed. Only permissions remain. An automated script is running to restore permissions, we expect it to take several hours from this point. During these several hours, all sites will slowly come back online

All restoration and permission tasks have been complete and all sites should have been online for more than an hour.

If you are facing any issues, please open a ticket. We were not able to recover all ColdFusion DSNs from backup, and those customers facing CF DSN errors are requested to open a ticket to resubmit their DSN details.

If you are facing an issue with Shared SSL, please disable and re-enable it from the control panel

As an add-on about CF DSNs, the files we restored had some password hashes, being that it changed servers, the hash was not readable on the new server and therefore does not work, just submit a ticket with any CF details that need to be fixed and it will be done promptly.

I am posting a follow-up after reviewing tickets for today.

Win6 had a number of SubFTP accounts, these have always been an added service that we have performed, and is nothing something that we can "backup" and recreate on a new server, therefore when sometime like this crashes, a ticket will have to be submitted with the details to recreate the subFTP account, there will be no resolution to this until psoft has an integrated subFTP for windows servers.

If you are having problems with FTP, and know you have some SubFTP accounts, you will need to resubmit these requests and we will need to re-create them.

Back