Windows backup solution?

You mean as a user backup?

I tihnk a number of FTP clients offer some things like this. CuteFTP I believe is one of them.

WS_FTP has automated synchronization routines which can be scheduled. I use these to backup all of my sites and it is completely "set-it-and-forget-it".

Underdog, the spBackup script I'm developing might help. It's a PHP app. Version 1 supports backing up files and folders (and all their contents) in the root dir. You can't select specific files from subdirectories (yet). Check out the URL in my sig.

Tim

Underdog,

I've used this procedure on Windows 2000/XP:

1) Create a text file with your FTP commands in it, such as:
Code:
open ftp.webserver.com
user your_user_name
your_password
cd your_target_directory
lcd \local_dir_where_you_want_the_files_to_be_downlaoded
binary
get file1.ext
get file2.ext
quit

You can also use the mget *.* command to grab all or selected files.

2) Create a .bat file with this single line:

ftp -n -s:your_ftp_commands_file.txt

3) Create a Windows Scheduled task that runs your batch file at the selected times. Make sure to set the task to run from the directory where your batch and commands file are located and set an appropriate user name and password.

4) Test the scheduled task (right-click and click Run Now I think)

5) Leave that computer on during the scheduled backup times.

I've used this technique to regularly back up Access database files for clients and similar file backups.

Tim

Underdog said:
That´s it ! ;)
Exactly what we need.

Hafa, do you know if WS has that feature?

With WS_FTP, you can synchronize specific directories, files, or series of either or both. The distinction between simply backing up and synchronization is that with synchronization, the application does a comparison of date stamp and/or file size (based on your specifications) and uploads only those files which have changed.

Back