Windows, Linus, databases, and e-com

aim57

Guppy
Windows, Linux, databases, and e-com

I'm trying to setup osCommerce for the first time, and I am working with a Windows server. I thought that with a Windows server, you could request for permissions to be manually changed, but a Jodohost representative recently told me that permissions can't be changed on a Windows system. :(

Do most users work with Linux systems when using osCommerce (or similar programs) and databases? What is the advantage of using a Windows server over Linux?

Thanks.

Re: Windows, Linux, databases, and e-com

What permissions do you need?

We can change permissions but they just like on linux systems, can open your account up for comprimise.

I run a Osommerce on windows for a client with no problems. The install permissions worked with no changes that had to be done. But I had to have support allow permission for the database user.

Re: Windows, Linux, databases, and e-com

In the last step of the oscommerce setup it says to do the following (below). It seems that this would be important for security reasons. I know these are unix codes, but how do you handle this for Windows? Thanks.

OSCOMMERCE:
Rename the catalog/install folder or delete it.
Reset the permissions on /catalog/includes/configure.php to 644 (if you are still getting
the warning message at the top set configure.php to 444 which is read only - this happens
on some servers that have been updated for security reasons).
Set the permissions on /catalog/images directory to 777.
Reset the permissions on /catalog/admin/includes/configure.php to 644.
Create the dir /catalog/admin/backups and set the permissions to 777.
Set the permissions on /catalog/admin/images/graphs directory to 777.
You need to .htaccess your /catalog/admin directory so that it is password protected. You
can use the password manager in your server admin area like cpanel.

Back