windows

Mike

Perch
I never really thought what a tough time it was to administer a windows server. I was with gearhost before but left them because they were charging alot of ms sql. They too faced alot of problems on a fairly regularly.. lol.. their notifications were poor though. I'm impressed with the jodohost notifications. Been here for about 2 months and there have only been two problems jodo has faced so far if im correct (far better than gearhost). What I wanted to ask was if you plan to upgrade to win2003 anytime soon. Heard that IIS 6 is much more stable.

Just like to remind you that the win2 issue we had was resolved without any downtime. The mssql3 problem that we are facing right now is rather unfortunate... should have never occured. This however doesn't cause any websites to go down , just the databases they may be using.

we will definately be upgrading to win2003 once PSOFT has fully tested HSphere on it.

just one question. Wouldn't it be much easier to just pop in the tape backup you make and do a full system recovery rather than trying to revover from a fatal system crash? I'm not affected by this though. My db is on mssql2

tape backups don't keep a backup of the operating system. You can either repair the OS or reinstall it. We'd have to reinstall it and then recover data from a tape backup. This of course would even take longer so we are trying to recover the OS first.

hmm.. ok. one unrelated question because I may plan to take a dedicated server down the line. If a system or hard drive crash occurs, how do you recover data if you don't have a backup? I've seen very few hosting companies keep backups. how do they recover from such problems?

to guard against hard drive crashes, you can use RAID1 which we use. system crashes is a different case. If a system becomes corrupt, you'd have to send it to a company specializing in recovery. Data centers provide such facilities on site but it takes a considerable amount of time to recover data this way. Tape backups help us recover much faster..

RAID is basically when you have two hardives mirroring each other. RAID1 is when the mirroring occurs by hardware (more expensive) and RAID5 where mirroring occurs by software (costs nothing).

What happens is that if one hard drive burns out, the other hard drive kicks in. We can then replace the damaged hard drive with a new one and the mirror is rebuilt

thanks for the info. i know I shouldn't really be asking this here but two more questions.

1) Is there any performance difference between RAID1 and RAID5
2) Does this mirroring occur all the time. Does it take some time for the secondary hard disk to kick in?

RAID1 is much more efficient. RAID5 puts the burden on the processor and RAM. people have reported problems with RAID5.

By mirroring, what I mean is when data is written on the primary disk, it is wrriten on the secondary too. If the primary burns out, the secondary takes over immediately. You can find plenty of resources on RAID on the internet.

Back