WordPress, move client from Windows to Unix plan?

dman

Perch
I have a client who may need to move from a Windows plan to a Unix plan. They are looking to move their site to use WordPress. Can anyone help answer the following questions:
  1. I think PHP is available on my Windows plans. Does anyone have experience with WordPress on Windows at Jodohost? Would you recommend it?
  2. Should I move this client to a Unix plan for WordPress?
  3. If it is recommended to move them to a Unix plan, what is the best way to do it? They are in an account with many other domains so I only need to move one domain. Can a single domain be moved from Windows to Unix without major downtime?
  4. The Easy Apps Collection provides a WordPress install but it appears to be version 2.5. Does anyone have experience using the Easy Apps WordPress installation? Would you recommend it or should I manually install WordPress?
Thanks in advance for any input!

So I tried to install WordPress with the Easy Apps Collections and I get the following error on both Windows and Unix plans:

Error creating app: Communications link failure due to underlying exception:

** BEGIN NESTED EXCEPTION **

java.net.ConnectException

This might answer question 4... Any idea why I can't install WordPress form the Easy Apps Collection?

We don't allow EasyApps because they are so old and not easily upgradeable. Let me put it this way, if we allowed it, you'd be hacked in a matter of 2-3 days.

They have not been maintained in years now, and event he 3rd party that was maintaining some of them dropped it due to lack of interest (and $)

Installing wordpress is easy, and far more upgradeable if you do it from their zip and install, then when a new version is out, follow their upgrade directions.

I'd recommend just staying on windows.

About question 1, PHP on windows is good, on windows 2008 it is very good even SEO friendly url's work with a simple web.config.

Before Christmas we will have Windows 2008 R2 servers that will be on both clusters that will be even better for PHP and pretty much across the board!

Hey Stephen,

Thanks for the quick replies. OK, so I shouldn't try to use the Easy Apps Collection. Are all of the apps unusable?

There have been some questions around the reseller forum here about PHP versions and someone mentioned that you can choose the version in the CP but I couldn't find where to do this. I just found it on my Windows plans under Edit Domain > Web Service > PHP settings then click on the wrench.

I see PHP 5.2.14 as the highest version available in my Windows plans. The latest versions of WordPress requires PHP 5.2.4 (http://wordpress.org/about/requirements/) so this could be or will be a problem in the near future. When might the PHP version be upgraded on the Windows servers? Should I be considering a Unix plan and what PHP version is running on the Unix servers?

Regarding the PHP on Windows, the upgrades sound promising towards the end of the year.

5.2.14 is higher than 5.2.4, we have Windows servers with 5.3(manually switched) and non on 5.3 on unix, yet. That will come very soon.

Back