Working with VPS

I am kinda interested to see if anyone out there would like to discuss working with VPS. I just got my first VPS account up, thank-you Yash. I would be thrilled if anyone can offer any suggestions for me on running my VPS. Specifically I am looking at using it to run bugzilla. A bug reporting service. I am not too experienced with bash, but learning. My first hurdle... I need to get the tar to this VPS. I don't know anyway to do this from bash, so next I wonder... Do I have to setup an FTP server on this VPS? If anyone would like to open conversation, it'd be cool. :D

UPDATE:
I uploaded the file to an existing FTP account on win6. Using the ftp command from BASH I was able to get the file.

The FTP command works, and overall wget is your friend :)
You can browse for a piece of software on your own PC, once you get to the download link, just copy the URL, and wget <url>. It supports HTTP and FTP.

Thank-you subspace. I got the file over there. Got a question about gzip. The file I am working with is bugzilla-2.16.5.tar.gz I am trying "gzip -d bugzilla-2.16.5.tar.gz" When I do this I get the following message.

gzip: bugzilla-2.16.5.tar.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

then the same thing with the difference --length error

Now in windows I can use winrar and extract everything in this file. Do you know anyway to create a tarball in windows?

Try "tar -zxvf file.tar.gz" instead, it should work. Not sure why you're getting a CRC error tho.
I've never bothered making tarballs on Windows, there are .zip compatible Linux utils as well :)

Back