Yahoo Domain Transfer

ricka0

Perch
WebGuy writes:
Here's what is required:

1) Call Yahoo domain support ( 1-866-849-8258 )
2) Request that your own personal name servers be registered. (The support people are supposed to know how to escalate this).
3) Keep asking, and asking, until you talk to someone who knows what they are doing.
4) Yahoo submits the request to their engineering department
5) After the request has been processed a confirmation email will be sent to you.

I talked to 3 different support people who didn't know how to do this, pretended not to, or didn't know what I was talking about. I finally asked to speak to a supervisor (Bill) and he knew what I wanted right away and was very helpful.

Moral of the story: If you don't get what you ask for... keep asking.

WebGuy is smarter and more experience than me. Do I give them ns2.m****here.biz or my name-server I set up?

ns2.sh00ter.com ns2.m****here.biz 204.10.107.212
ns1.sh00ter.com ns.m****here.biz 204.10.107.44

The tech guy told me I need to first cancel my Yahoo account, get a whoIs account then request the change. I told him that's not what the WebExpert WebGuy said so he's checking :)

Remember, I'm just a programmer, not an IT person.

You need to create your own, follow the process WebGuy gave, and like he said, you may need to jump through some hoops to find someone that knows, or cares, there at Yahoo!

You will need to give them the IPs there that you justlisted to associate with each nameserver in your name.
NOW, if your main domain is with godaddy, and you already created the nameservers at godaddy, Yahoo! can use them properly, just put them in and it will find them(from godaddy).

They aren't requisting IP's like goDaddy, they want a name server and they have a Domain Applet for it. I'm doing complete detailed instructions. I just need to know if they want ns2.sh00ter.com or ns2 m****here dot biz 204.10.107.212

I don't see how they can resolve ns2.sh00ter.com so I will try your nameservers

Maybe they are sending me down the wrong path.

you should use sh00ter.com, it it working fine, I just pinged it from my DSL properly.

Wow and I thought godaddy was bad about sending ads at the checkout process! Yahoo is worse, and far more confusing

OK... I think we're talking about 2 totally seperate things here... I was explaining how to "register private nameservers" for a domain name registered through Yahoo!.

It appears you are... ummmm... I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do. Your domain name was registered through GoDaddy. So what does Yahoo! have to do with anything? It appears as though you had your site hosted through Yahoo! at one point, but if you're going through JodoHost now you can forget Yahoo!... just cancel your hosting services with Yahoo! and move on. This has nothing to do with registering your own nameservers. Simply log into GoDaddy, and change your DNS settings appropriatly.

I don't know if this makes things any clearer for you or not, but it hopefully will help someone to avoid jumping through the hoops you just did for no reason.

I have a bunch of domains, one thru Yahoo and hosted by Yahoo. (and a many at GoDaddy ) I want to move the Yahoo hosted and Yahoo acquired Domain to Jodo - so it will be hosted by my Jodo account. Next year when I renew the domain name, I'll do that thru Jodo's NS provider - I won't renew thru Yahoo.

Stephen said:
you should use sh00ter.com, it it working fine, I just pinged it from my DSL properly.

pinging responds, but that address is a GoDaddy, not Jodo. In stepbystep3 (http://www.jodohost.com/stepbystep3.asp) it says:
verify that you can "ping" your name servers as well as server aliases. If your DNS host name were mywebhost.net, try pinging cp.mywebhost.net to see if your DNS zone has propogated and propogated correctly..

I think you want only one propogated but spelt propagated :) (google Beta3 spel cheker found this, not me :))

Don't you have to look at the Jodo nameserver IP's to verify it's Jodo NS responding and not your old NS?

That is odd, they were both working properly pinging the right IP when I last checked (right before the post when I said it was working) but they don't work now.

However, you are only getting errors at yahoo since the nameservers at godaddy are not working.

Here is a flash tutorial covering Godaddy DNS creation, they have updated the interface a bit, but it is still very much the same.

http://jodohost.com/nsflash/dnsns_godaddy.htm

Wow they changed it again! I have not logged in for quite a while.

See the red box on screenshot 3, try "add nameservers" just below that.

Edit: I am wrong, I logged into mine to find it, and that just allows a 3rd and 4th NS

I have it down now, it is Domain Hosts Information as I first thought, getting a screenshot up for you in a min.

Check out my leet MS Paint skills(only app on the machine I am working with currently)
http://jodohost.com/godaddydns.jpg

I did that sort of backwards, but working with paint is not a breeze. Step 2 is first, Step 1 is second. Click the link in step 1, and it takes you to step 2 screen.

Edit: Also fixed that spelling :)

Stephen said:
That is odd, they were both working properly pinging the right IP when I last checked (right before the post when I said it was working) but they don't work now.
http://jodohost.com/nsflash/dnsns_godaddy.htm

OK, my goDaddy sh00ter.com (note the Zero's not Oh's) NS1 & 2 ping correctly, ie
ping NS2.SH00TER.COM
Reply from 204.10.107.212: bytes=32 time=96ms TTL=47

And that is a Jodo (my name server) addr.
But when I ping my domain (which I aquired from goDaddy) I get:
c:\>ping SH00TER.COM
Ping request could not find host SH00TER.COM. Please check the name and try again.

I assume this is a problem at goDaddy, because they should be pointing to my NS2.SH00TER.COM and NS1.SH00TER.COM
or did I miss a step at goDaddy?

There is some reference to this in there, which is incorrect:

Your NS records at your nameservers are:

ns.bmg-50.com. [no glue provided] [TTL=86400]
ns2.bmg-50.com. [no glue provided] [TTL=86400]

It looks like you started setting up two service domains, when you can only have one, which one do you wish to be the main service domain?

Thanks, I deleted the BMG-5O
I was able to add my yahoo domain ( rickaIT.com ) - I'll see if I can make any progress.

I still can't ping sh00ter.com ( bought domain thru GoDaddy )
or rickaIT.com ( bought domain and service from Yahoo and just transferred hosting to my Jodo account )

H-SPHERE seems to be working now.

WebGuy said:

I may need to wait 48 hours now for my stealth name servers to get propagted. Exactly the error Stephen pointed out.

Owe you another one for that WebGuy, great tool
dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=sh00ter.com
shows

Missing (stealth) nameservers FAIL: You have one or more missing (stealth) nameservers. The following nameserver(s) are listed (at your nameservers) as nameservers for your domain, but are not listed at the the parent nameservers (therefore, they may or may not get used, depending on whether your DNS servers return them in the authority section for other requests, per RFC2181 5.4.1). You need to make sure that these stealth nameservers are working; if they are not responding, you may have serious problems! The DNS Report will not query these servers, so you need to be very careful that they are working properly.

ns2.bmg-50.com.ns.bmg-50.com.
This is listed as an ERROR because there are some cases where nasty problems can occur (if the TTLs vary from the NS records at the root servers and the NS records point to your own domain, for example).

I wouldn't use the Yahoo! domain if you have alternatives... just because the nameserver registration needs to be done manually by Yahoo! and that could take around a week. If you have a Go-Daddy domain that you can use... eg (sh00ter.com) I'd advise you to use that instead.

It's up to you, but that's my 2 cents. :D

Back