Blackstone Released - When Will Jodo Upgrade?

Hello Derek, if you make an account now, it will go to CFMX6.1, then you can request a moveto CFMX7, but I will have to process portions of this manually, so regular support won't be able to do this task.

Seems to be a long thread with no real answer?
Is CF 7 currently available?
if so how do we have our accounts switched over to it?
If not when can we expect it?

thanks
MG

I was the first (and only) one who responded to Stephen's request for testers on WinCF2. I moved one of my sites over, and it was there for about 2 weeks with no issues. However, there was a problem with one of the other servers, and I believe Stephen told me he had to take WinCF2 offline as a production server and use it as a backup, so he moved my site back to the other server.

I believe they still plan to have a CFMX7 server, since they bought the license, etc. As for when it will be reinstated, I do not know.

Thanks for the response....Seems a lot of people are looking for it... and waiting... Like myself.....hopefully they will sort it out soon....

did you use any of the new functions like flash forms?

Thanks
MG

Manopb,

I am sorry about not responding to your PM, I honestly missed it. I found it in my PMs marked as read, but I am 100% I never read it.

We will be bringing a CFMX7 server back online in the next 3 weeks and open it again for some accounts to test for bugs(there are quite a number with interfacing to hsphere, we have to do a large amount of work manaully)

njtech4u said:
Thanks for the response....Seems a lot of people are looking for it... and waiting... Like myself.....hopefully they will sort it out soon....

did you use any of the new functions like flash forms?

Thanks
MG

MG,
No, I was mainly concerned with compatibility with the new version. About 75% of the code on the site I had on CFMX7 was written before CFMX was out. The rest was written while on a CFMX6 server. I did not have to make any changes to my code.

The site is for my sister's band, and used CF for the following - a guestbook, some CMS for them to update galleries and their schedule page, and add/remove links from their "Cool Links" section. Once I knew everything was working, I was going to start experimenting with some of the flash forms, but didn't get to that point.

When I first heard about CFMX7 coming out, I was hoping MM would include some good image manipulation functions. Unfortunately they opted to concentrate on other features, and leave the image stuff to custom tags. I'm sure there are other CFMX7 features that will appeal to me eventually!

Stephen said:
(02-24-06)
We will be bringing a CFMX7 server back online in the next 3 weeks and open it again for some accounts to test for bugs(there are quite a number with interfacing to hsphere, we have to do a large amount of work manaully)

Today marks three weeks, so I thought I'd check again -- any news on this? I have more and more CF7-specific code waiting to be deployed, and one of my clients just asked about using another host, rather than continuing to wait.

Of course we all know that "stuff comes up", so I really don't mean to add any more pressure, it's just that I'm caught in the middle -- if it's going to be months before CF7 is even ready for beta, then I'd prefer not to tell that client to "hold out for three weeks" again.

So if you could give us a revised estimate of when we can start testing, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

=tracy

Hello Tracy,

We tested CFMX7 extensively with Hsphere, and it simply has too many shortcomings to put it into a production enviroment.

As soon as CFMX7 support comes out from Psoft we will put WinCF3 up and have it running with CFMX7. We do not know when this will be, when isntalling wincf2 we decided to forgo many of the CFMX7 issues and have CFMX6.1 that would at least allow users to turn CF on and not require a ticket to start using CF pages.

At the point I said 3 weeks I was expecting the wincf2 server to be on CFMX7, but after a lot of testing and seeing that there was a longstanding list of issues we decided against the technical issues of utilizing CFMX7 on the server.

A major issue in this decision was that with CFMX7 installed Psoft would refuse to support ANY issue related to hsphere on the server, even if it was not CF related.

Since other hosts are obviuosly running CFMX7, and have been since its release, by now there must be some type of control panel that works with it.

Is Jodohost tied to HSphere as it's only CP by contract? Is it possible to provide a CFMX7-friendly CP on a new CFMX7 server? I realize this may entail more expense, but if CFMX7 is wanted/needed by so many Jodo customers, especially the resellers, it shouldn't be difficult to recoup any investment.

Dear All,

It seems that HSphere is giving Jodohost quite a headache in its attempt at upgrading to CF7 so as to be competive with other hosting services. Perhaps six months ago, it was OK for CF users to use CF6.1, however, recently, coldfusion users have seen a tremendous growth in the Flex and Coldfusion technology. This growth has been driven by the need for more Interactivity and the next generation of WEB 2.0 applications.

As a coldfusion developer, in order to stay current in this arena, one must be using the latest version and not be limited to using a 2 year old version. The analogy for jodohost admins is like using a 2 year old version of Hsphere.

Since the problem is not with CF7 and the culprit is Hsphere, it does make to provide to customers a CF7 solution using another CP -- one that is more robust and flexible. This CP doesn't have to be implemented throughout the entire system, only for the CF7.

Perhaps cost and maintenance of multiple CP is a problem, however, Jodohost will have to do the numbers and weigh the cost of supporting CF7 versus the mounting unrest from its group of loyal coldfusion customer base.

Sincerely,

Tim

I could not agree with Tim more. I've been developing with CF for 7+ years, and I work with nothing but CF. MX7 fixes a number of issues that existed with 6.1 and is a tremendous leap in technology. Every one of my clients wants CF7 now, so I cannot host them here. I love the service and support Jodohost has given me, but if I can't get 7 here soon, I'll have to start looking else where! CF7 has ben out for about a year now, it's a stable platform (much more stable than the 6.1 we currently have...ODBC anyone???). HSPHERE may not work with it, but heck, it doesn't work well with 6.1 anyway - we still have to submit tickets to get CF DSNs created! I sure would like to see a plan of action from Jodohost other than waiting in PSoft to come up with a solution...

Ross

MX7 & Hsphere 2.5. Will Jodo Upgrade Now?

So, how are these guys doing it? http://forum.vortechhosting.com/showthread.php?t=11204 -- they're running hsphere and are proudly announcing that they now have MX7 in production. Other hosts out there who are promoting MX7 on Hsphere-based reseller plans include http://www.successfulhosting.com/features/.

Psoft are announcing the release of Hsphere 2.5 (http://www.psoft.net/promo/) -- does this solve the problems that have pushed jodohost's install of MX7 since December?

Just to make it clear: I am very happy with the hosting services jodohost have provided thus far, and I have no intention on bailing just because you're not right there bleeding for us on the cutting edge. Reading Stephen's responses here and yash's input on e.g. webhostingtalk it's clear that jodohost would like to do right by all of us and get MX7 in production, but have had legitimate reasons not to do so up until now.

However, I do have clients who are bugging me for features that are *right there* in MX7 ready to implement (e.g. dynamic pdf document generation, which would be a pain to do any other way with a site that is currently 100 percent CF-based) and it's getting a little difficult to keep finding excuses to postpone implementation.

I'm also really happy with the hosting thus far with JodoHost but I echo the others' opinions that I need to move some sites to MX7 and I'm stuck as to what to do. My first option is to move sites to JodoHost but I can't because CF7 isn't offered. I need to make a decision soon and don't want to leave this host.

Thanks,
Derek.

We had experiemented with CF7 earlier (i believe 2 months back) but it had many issues with HSphere.

We are certainly considering a CF7 only server. I'll be able to give an accurate time frame next month

The fact is that right now MX7 does NOT work with 2.4.3 in any effective manner, it does work somewhat with 2.5 but 2.5 is very buggy.

When I was testing mx7 with 2.4.3 the special features of mx7 would not have worked anyway, as hsphere could not properly register all the functionality.

I got it to parse cfmx pages, I never got it to do DSNs(would prefer it not anyway, its a mess when it does even in cfmx6.1), flashpaper would not work, and the other gateway services would not work without a lot of work on our part, it would quite regularly crash because it would try to edit the DSN file(neo-query) and corrupt it almost instantly.

Stephen, it sounds like the problem is very specifically with Hsphere, not so much MX7.

I have no particular love for Hsphere, and I'm wondering if the solution for those of us who *really* want to stay with jodohost but can't tolerate the never-ending delays that Psoft's apparent inability to deliver a functioning upgrade are causing would be to move over to a VPS server.

Could you very briefly run thru the scenario of getting mx7 up and running on a jodohost'ed VPS server?

Back