Components on win3

Yorri, our policy is to keep up-to-date with all Microsoft software and patches.. Not doing so opens potential security risks. If Microsoft issues a critial MDAC patch (like they did recently), we are not going to spend 2 days testing it, we will install it immediately. I don't think any web hosting company can afford not to.

As far as Win2003, that was a mistake I admit. We felt only a small number of companies were facing issues with Win2003. Another reason was that all our competitors had upgraded to Win2003 and if they weren't facing issues, we felt we wouldn't either.
Anyway, we are already taking corrective measures

WOW... Robert.. your site is a complete disaster on win3..

Between 2:30PM to 6:30AM, Win3 hit 100% cpu usage 90 times and sustained it for at least 20 or 30 seconds!

IIS crashed 8 times during this period
This error was recorded consistently: File gallery/image.asp Line: 83 type mismatch (unhandled datatype)

yorri said:
Well as you just said...improvements..which to me indicates that it didn't crash your server.

Neither me or Yash had mentioned crashing up to this point. Yash was complaining about the huge CPU usage and subsequent freezing (stalling), and I was commenting on that.
If a script causes 100% CPU time for 20 to 30 seconds and there's no way you can change that, you should be looking for some dedicated hosting solution.
Shame Windows 2003 seems to be giving problems, being able to limit CPU resources for certain websites is nice :)

Yash said:

Between 2:30PM to 6:30AM, Win3 hit 100% cpu usage 90 times and sustained it for at least 20 or 30 seconds!

This error was recorded consistently: File gallery/image.asp Line: 83 type mismatch (unhandled datatype)

Yash, the type mismatch is due to your staff installing an expired ASPImage component. That's not my fault. Get your facts straight please. It makes me wonder if the other problems are really mine too.

I have asked you for log files that pinpoint times for htese problems and offered to cross check with the IIS log files. You have not provided me any logs or even replied to me on this request.

Also, I checked my site off and on last night and everything appeared to be fine, all pages and images were quick, and the site was never down.

if the component is expired, it will send an error, when it sends an error, processing will stop, when the processing stops, CPU usage will fall to 3-10%..

and when you say a 120MB Access database wont cause problems, you are so wrong its actually possible to be, even if an Access database can be 2GB, it doesnt mean it wont cause problem on a shared webserver!

And when the database is 120MB, i would say you have more than 20 visitors.. 120MB with text is hell alot of characters!

Robert, I never said the type mismatch error is causing these problems, I was just letting you know what the event log is showing...

Just now I logged into the server again and this is what I saw!
100% CPU usage! Your site is causing the server to go crazy. IIS crashed 3 times right in front of me!

Your site was never down.. that is right.. but when we put you on a production server, you are going to cause everyone's site to go down!

Could you please acknowledge there is a problem and work on correcting it.. We are experienced administrators and we are telling you that its causing problems.. Your site is on a dedicated server, there is no other process that can cause CPU usage and IIS to spin out of control

I recommend you upgrade to MS SQL and check your scripts.. Please let me know how much time you will take... I put a copy of the Application Event log in your root directory. it is in 3 different formats..

Attachments

• robert.JPG
    robert.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 87
Yash said:

Yash, I may have found the problem. I poured over the IIS logs (it sure would have been helpful to have the performance logs like I had asked for more than once), and I pulled out all the 500 errors, and other than a normal "record not found" type of error, that would not cause such a problem since I catch these in my code, I found a "not a valid bitmap image" error on one particular record. I have deleted the record. From what I can tell, it was added on 8-Feb, so it was recent, during which we were having problems on win1 in general. I wonder if the record become corrupt during its addition.

In any case, I have deleted it, and let's see what happens to the server.

Yash said:
I put a copy of the Application Event log in your root directory. it is in 3 different formats..

Yash, see my earlier post about the corrupted record. I will check the app logs and see if I can connect it with the bad record, if not, I will cross-check the times with the IIS logs and see what else I can find.

Thank you for the logs. For the record, this is what I call working together to solve a problem.

Yash said:
Just now I logged into the server again and this is what I saw!
100% CPU usage! Your site is causing the server to go crazy. IIS crashed 3 times right in front of me!

Yash, what time zone is the server in? The screen cap you included seemed like it was from just now, but its from 3 AM this morning. What kind of time adjustment should I be using?

Yash said:
ill let you know in a few hours if that has caused reduced cpu usage or problems

OK, I'll check the new IIS log files as they are copied to my directory and keep looking for problems. The 10 AM log file so far shows no problems.

Yash said:
ill let you know in a few hours if that has caused reduced cpu usage or problems

Yash,

Please confirm that the high-CPU usage problems appear to have disappeared. I would like to move on to other things.

Thanks.

no Robert, IIS is still crashing every 60 to 80 minutes. The CPU usage is very high at has hit 100% at least 110 times within the last 24 hours...

You need to switch to ms sql

i saw someone mentioned something with a gallery.asp page or somthing..
if this is an image gallery, do you store the images in the database? cuz 120 MB with plain text is quite much!

Yash said:
no Robert, IIS is still crashing every 60 to 80 minutes. The CPU usage is very high at has hit 100% at least 110 times within the last 24 hours...

Yash, can you provide the sys app log files like you did previously. I would like to match it with the IIS logs. I would have preferred that you told me earlier as I had time to investigate over the weekend, but will have a busy week ahead.

I will look at the changes required to migrate to SQL, but this is not an easy task.

Thanks.

Yash said:

Yash, is it possible this is a Windows 2003 problem and I should be moved to a Windows 2000 machine? In fact, the original e-mail I received stated that I would be isolated on a Windows 2000 machine.

i doubt this is a windows 2003 problem alone.. it has to do something with your site, and its probably the big Access database of yours

switch to MS SQL and see how it works
rememeber all the data in the database

DirtBag said:
i doubt this is a windows 2003 problem alone.. it has to do something with your site, and its probably the big Access database of yours

switch to MS SQL and see how it works
rememeber all the data in the database

Dirtbag, I would like to hear Yash's opinion, as it is clear there are numerous Windows 2003 issues and if moving to Windows 2000 resolves most of them, this gives me more time to investigate the change to SQL.

You have stated your opinion several times, no need to repeat.

Back