Components on win3

malemanes said:
Dirtbag, I would like to hear Yash's opinion, as it is clear there are numerous Windows 2003 issues and if moving to Windows 2000 resolves most of them, this gives me more time to investigate the change to SQL.

You have stated your opinion several times, no need to repeat.

Why not just import your access db into sql server alter your connection string etc and then see if the same problem still exists?

Once you have the database hosted on MSSQL the admins should be able to monitor every single db call via the Profiler tool that comes with MSSQL.

Robert,
My site was runing on access database and i had some problems with it, i moved to mysql and it was fine,
save your self all these problems and improve your web site performance by changing to MS SQL.

Yash,
Even though we are still looking for a solution to my problem (Custom Error Page) I think you guys try your best to accomedate your customers, With my other host when i had a problem on my site (Not all the connection to the database were getting closed) and it caused a problem on the server they disabled my site and asked to fixed it, they did not move to a server to have it tested. Check your connections Robert, Make sure they closed after being used, this might help solve the problem.

From what i know access database a learning database not a database to use when you expecting heavy trafic, it is ok as long as you are not getting 10 or more hits at the same time, if you do it will crash. (Do not hold this against me, i read on Web master world i think)

Access is intended as a personal database package, it wasn't not intended to be used in server/multi-user/corporate environment.
A few changes have been made to at least handle multi-user a bit better, but it's still far less suited than MS SQL. The price tag on both packages should tip people off :)

malemanes said:
Dirtbag, I would like to hear Yash's opinion, as it is clear there are numerous Windows 2003 issues and if moving to Windows 2000 resolves most of them, this gives me more time to investigate the change to SQL.

You have stated your opinion several times, no need to repeat.
whats wrong with my opinion? im just helping you and JH!
and as i said, this isnt a windows 2003 problem, as its only a few sites causing this! IT HAS TO DO SOMETHING WITH YOUR SITE!
why cant you just move the data to an SQL server and see if thats the problem? a 120MB big Access database just have to cause problems! no doubt!

DirtBag said:
whats wrong with my opinion?

When we want your opinion....we will ask for it.

Malemanes is trying to talk with Yash about this issue. I certainly wouldn't appreciate you butting in like you are doing either ESPECIALLY since you don't know all the facts!

yo, im just trying to help! and this is what i get back.....

you wont get any more opinions from me, a$$holes

SubSpace said:
Access is intended as a personal database package, it wasn't not intended to be used in server/multi-user/corporate environment.
A few changes have been made to at least handle multi-user a bit better, but it's still far less suited than MS SQL. The price tag on both packages should tip people off :)

Although Robert does not want our opinions, maybe other people may find my experience useful

We were running a site with an Access database, it was a kind of forum We developed. During the first months of operation (125 hits per month :() there were no problems. Then the site became popular, hits were incrementing a lot and the site reached 33000 hits per month but still no problems. When the site reached 66000 hits per month and the Access file became 12 Mb in size (much less than Robert's) the site started to eat a lot of CPU and the hosting company SUSPENDED temporarily the site BEFORE telling us something. We migrated the DB to SQL Server 7 and the problems ceased, in fact the performance rose and the site was able to manage more than 120000 hits per month!!

However it's not so easy. The easiest step is the data migration. Just use the wizard that comes with Access (this can be done by JH's people). Preferably use DRI when migrating your Access' relations using the wizard

You must modify a lot of queries but SQL Server has everything you need to do so

My two cents :p

OK, here's an update

Between 8:02:05PM to 8:05:55PM, (3/9/04) the CPU was at 100% (a whopping 4 minutes!)
Between 8:10:55PM to 8:12:40PM (3/9/04) your site once again hit 100% cpu usage (wow!)

Currently its 6:50am (3/10/04) at the server. Your site hit 100% cpu usage 4 times infront of me at held it for 2 or 3 seconds.

However, IIS has not crashed on a single occasion in the last 24 hours. You are making progress but the cpu usage is terrible.

I think upgrading to MS SQL is your best and only solution.

Inka said:
Although Robert does not want our opinions, maybe other people may find my experience useful...

Inka, actually, if you'll look back, I never said I didn't want anyone's opinion. I simply said that there is no need to repeat it once said.

Thanks for the info on Access. I am currently looking at a migration to SQL, but I'm not sure most people realize that it is not a 5 minute affair. There are table differences in the field types between Access and SQL, and code differences beyond the connection string. I hope to be able to post a complete list of the changes I needed to help others in the future.

yorri, this is a public forum and you can expect other people to give their advise. If you want to communicate with us directly, do it through the ticket system or email. That was what we were doing till Robert found something he could complain about...

Out of all the sites we have disabled, 99% used ms access.

SubSpace said:
Pffft, if you don't want people's opinions, try submitting a ticket or mailing [email protected] instead of posting on a public forum. No more opinions or help from me either.

kthxbye.
good to see that at least somebody here isn't against me..
smiley20.gif

malemanes said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inka
Although Robert does not want our opinions, maybe other people may find my experience useful...

Inka, actually, if you'll look back, I never said I didn't want anyone's opinion. I simply said that there is no need to repeat it once said.
i repeated almost what i said, cuz it looked like you just ignored it.. (i think you mean the thing with upgrading the database)

malemanes said:

Ok, no problem :)

Good luck with your migration 8)

malemanes said:
Thanks for the info on Access. I am currently looking at a migration to SQL, but I'm not sure most people realize that it is not a 5 minute affair.

It certainly isn't. Access isn't exactly compatible with the SQL-99 standard...
By the way, if you install the SQL Enterprise Manager, install the Books Online. It has some useful T-SQL documentation.
It depends largely on your coding, but porting doesn't have to take hours and hours of work either. Your mileage may vary.

Back