DNS Issue?

Yash said:
Yorri, refresh the dnsstuff.com A record page.. it will show you your record from ns1 without issues. But ns2 is throwing back garbage

Mycroft, that is what we are looking into..

Ok so what the heck am I supposed to do about this?

yorri said:
3 different people at 3 different isps can't get to it either...so what is your explanation to that?

I don't have one - sorry! I'm assuming that site isn't hosted with Jodo, so maybe your viewing problems for your sites aren't necessarily being caused by Jodo... maybe ?(

yorri said:
Ok so what the heck am I supposed to do about this?

About 10 to 15 domains aren't returning A records from ns2... We are looking into it.. this includes your domain as well as jodohost.com...

Yash, why would putting www in front of the domain name make it work but not without...shouldn't it resolve to the same place?

This gives us a chance to look into this problem with detail. What seems to have happened is that:

1) Someone penetrated ns2 server
2) There is some script that is messing the DNS zone files on ns2 as well as the hsphere database. For example, we tried recreating the jodohost.com dns zone but it recreated a defective record..

yorri said:
Yash, why would putting www in front of the domain name make it work but not without...shouldn't it resolve to the same place?

it seems that without www, your ISP is retrieving the record from ns2 because there is a problem on ns2.. everything is fine from ns1

we are looking at this..

quick question mycroft, riley, yorri.. did you make any change to your domain in the last 24 hours?

Yash said:
quick question mycroft, riley, yorri.. did you make any change to your domain in the last 24 hours?

What kind of changes...I certainly didn't touch the dns settings.

Uploaded files, accessed and made changes to sql server, deleted files using websphere 3 but I think that is about it for me. I don't think I made any configuration changes.

hmm.. ok
we're recreating all slave records while psoft finds out why the slave records are being messed up.

Yash said:
hmm.. ok
we're recreating all slave records while psoft finds out why the slave records are being messed up.

It sounds like you know you can fix it???

What is the estimate time for completion? Can you comment on this?

its fixed for your domains.. we decided not to recreate slave zones because that would cause alot of unnecessary downtime

We manually corrected your's as well as riley's DNS zone.. if anyone else can't access their domain, open a ticket

We are looking into why this happened

Yash said:
its fixed for your domains.. we decided not to recreate slave zones because that would cause alot of unnecessary downtime

We manually corrected your's as well as riley's DNS zone.. if anyone else can't access their domain, open a ticket

We are looking into why this happened

Ok great, it is back up and working now. Thank you.

What about the one domain that shows ns2 on top of ns1 in hsphere? Is this something I should be worried about? I don't know if this is something that should be changed so that problems in the future don't occur??? As I said before I never touched this so this definitely was the way Hsphere set it up which would make sense since Hsphere screwed up a few settings on that domain that you had to manually fix on each server move.

if ns2 is shown as primary in hsphere, then make that primary with your registrar

The issue seems to be with the slave records. Since a majority of slave records are on ns2, we treated this as an ns2 issue.

The transfers between DNS servers are either having packet loss or there is some other issue we need to look into. This is happening in rare cases for a few domains..

PSOFT as well as us are monitoring the DNS servers. we are hoping to put and end to this issue like we did with our other dns problems

Yash said:
riley, you are using ns2 as your primary name server. I don't understand why.. even you are Yorri...
I use Enom and I have seen them reverse my name server settings before. I always enter ns1 before ns2, but they switch them and I have no control over it.

The real fix is to make both your name servers work.

brawney, both DNS servers are working
As Yash explained, there is a issue with DNS transfers that is in rare cases causing the slave dns record to corrupt. We are hoping to resolve this very soon

if anyone's domain is not functioning, please submit a ticket immediately so that we can look into it

jhoelz, your isse was entirely different related to ISP caching. Since you were previously on Win4, this IP is still cached for some of your visits, tell them how to clear their cache with ipconfig /flushdns

Back