Help Desk Down???

1. that query is huge to go that long.

2. There was abuse from one user that we gave notice to and time to move, we understand you run it one time, but that is a VERY LONG query, running that from a web browsing session will be prone to die for many reasons including normal apache refreshes, have you considered running it in sql query tool to get it run for now?

We'll be moving to new ways of processing php in the new environment that will possibly make this even WORSE as it will kill processes that run that long, because in general processes running that long are up to no good. (mail bounce scripts has been a big issue lately, also DDOS flood scripts, all in php or perl)

there is a VERY legit reason for not allowing an unlimited runtime on scripts, and it isn't to punish you in any way.

You are taking this all a bit personal, when it is not, in fact it helps you in the long term by making cleaner servers where crap won't be able to run and take up computing time. We are seeing infected PCs uploading perl and php scripts even on windows in a big way these days, that then are used by botnets to spam the net with stupid 'twitter' notices that are really hidden links. We spend a significant amount of time cleaning these up daily. We're about to start having to lock out people on FTP that they won't scan their pc for malware, as its coming FROM their PCs when they upload, or passwords stolen as long ago as the gumblar worms from adobe apps that stole passes.

Yes. It's my fault. All my fault...I'm the only one to blame. EXCUSE ME.

How about the fact that this script has been running unchanged for about 4 years now?

And yes, I could turn it into a sql upload by doing the processing on my end first.

BUT, that requires some rather extensive programming and testing on my part.

MEANWHILE, all the people that are depending on this have been without it for a week now.

All because 75 seconds is not enough time to load 15K table rows.

It's enough time to load 10-12K, but not 15K.

So I will work on doing this more efficently...........but in the mean time, how about increasing the time to say 110 seconds so it finishes.......after all if it had no problems finishing in much less than 75 seconds in the past, it must be a problem on your end huh? And you've admitted that by saying you have users abusing the server.........what? 24 hours a day???......because I've tried to run this at all hours and it never finishes..

How bout you stop the people from abusing the server?

Or move me to a server that isn't populated with 'abusers'

I've been with Jodohost since I don't remember.....at LEAST 5-6 years.

How bout giving one of your long time loyal users some slack??

Cause this has been going on for a week now...........and you have to admit that is totally inexcusable............

z

And here's a thought.......how about putting users that you KNOW are not spammers, or twitteres or whattheFever on separate servers........and let the rest of them fight it out on other servers.......

Or at least suspending accounts that violate Jodohost TOS?

z

FYI

With all due respect, kindly stop making assumptions, and topping them with more.
All that is done now is to disable a user making excessive usage, and another one notified. And then I made some MySQL configuration changes for innodb

Without you all telling me what is going on (which you just finally did)........assumptions are all that is left to me.............z

VERY LONG query, running that from a web browsing session will be prone to die for many reasons including normal apache refreshes,

I've never had a problem with that.........Never.

And it's not one long query........it's a series of query's...one for each row......well, one for each 2 rows now.........the problem is that the script has to generate the data in the rows from another file........

z

And here's a thought.......how about putting users that you KNOW are not spammers, or twitteres or whattheFever on separate servers........and let the rest of them fight it out on other servers.......

Or at least suspending accounts that violate Jodohost TOS?

z

We do suspend, and there is no such thing as a 'trusted user' when those 'trusted users' have virus and trojan infections on their PCs that are causing the problems.

In fact right here on these forums you will find people that have complain because we've suspended them for their network being infected, pc infected etc and being suspended because of it. We require proof of cleanup before we unsuspend as well.

Btw........just ran it again........it finished..........duration 71 seconds......just under the wire.........z

We do suspend, and there is no such thing as a 'trusted user' when those 'trusted users' have virus and trojan infections on their PCs that are causing the problems.

In fact right here on these forums you will find people that have complain because we've suspended them for their network being infected, pc infected etc and being suspended because of it. We require proof of cleanup before we unsuspend as well.

I appreciate the tough job you all have.........Just throwing out some ideas.......someway to separate the professional users (who don't generally have virus problems) from the rest.........too bad some of these processing limits can't be set at the user level.................z

Back