Hosting a subdomain remotely.

On the Linux site's settings, you need to add sub.somedomain.com as a server alias.
It's likely it will already have an alias www.sub2.reseller.net in the settings already, just add another there :)

Without this, the virtual host would not be recognized and you'd be directed to some default page on the server, unless you used a dedicated IP.

Thanks SubSpace!

I'm still a little confused, so if you don't mind, I would like to list down what I did so far.

1. I have have a domain [win-site.com] and I want to run wordpress on [blog.win-site.com]. I need the url rewriting features (and none of the IIS hacks seem to work well, so I would like to run it on Linux with .htaccess).

2. I created a Unix plan and added a domain [linux-site.com].

3. On [win-site.com] I added a _Custom A Record_ and point it to [linux-site.com]'s shared IP address.

4. Now from what I'm reading on your post, I need to add a server alias on [linux-site.com]? Is that correct?

Now when I select new alias, it tells me to enter [new alias].linux-site.com. (and just so we're on the same page, is setting the server alias the one here: Configuring Domains - H-Sphere Menu Based Guide - Positive Software Corporation)

So, what name do I put for the [new alias]?

Also, once I create a new server alias, do I need to create a folder or subdomain on [linux-site.com]? Basically where do I store the files on [linux-site.com] so that [blog.win-site.com] will see it?

:) thanks for any help!

Sorry, I meant a domain alias, not a server alias :) It's just above the server aliasing on the help page you linked.

The domain alias to enter would be name of the A record you just added, followed by the domain name, so in this case: blog.win-site.com. Uncheck the box to create a new DNS zone. The zone already exists under your other account after all.

When you view blog.win-site.com, it should be the same page as linux-site.com. If you want it to be a different page, but on the same account, you will have to create a subdomain on the linux-site.com account first, and add the alias to that instead of adding it to the main site.

Thanks so much SubSpace!

I'm beginning to finally get this now :)

The last problem that I'm running into is that when I try to add a domain alias on [linux-site.com] I get the error message "Domain blog.win-site.com has been taken."

Any suggestions?

Things I've tried and checked:
1. The only place on [win-site.com] that has the "blog" name is under the Custom A records. There are no subdomain under [win-site.com].

2. I even tried getting rid of the wildcard *.win-site.com A record but that didn't seem to be the answer so I restored it.

Just an update, I wasn't able to get it working on a shared IP so I submitted a ticket and was told to try the dedicated IP and it worked!

Of course if there is someway to get it working with a shared IP that would be nice, but it's all good :)

I couldn't get around the domain already exists thing either when I tried it.. Apparently it does allow it when you create a whole new website, but not on domain aliases, or something. Either that or they changed H-Sphere since I created my own webmail subdomain..

Ah... oh well, it's not bad, but it does suck that I have to use up an IP for it.

Thanks for all the help SubSpace!

Here's one more question I have on this.

Now that [blog.win-site.com] is successfully pointed to [linux-site.com] do I need to redirect all the [linux-site.com] to [blog.win-site.com]?

Meaning, right now, I have an article at [blog.win-site.com/article1.html]. However, I can access the same article by going to [linux-site.com/article1.html].

And since I want to essentially "hide" [linux-site.com] in cases of search engines and the like, do I redirect everything to [blog.win-site.com]? Or does that create some kind of infinite loop type thing? :)

Back