I am so frustrated

Typ0

Perch
I have asked several times for information from IIS error logs and the only response is for me to replicate the issue. Well I can't because I don't know what the issue is because it's my users and I need to see the error logs to troubleshoot the problem. Why is there no way to see the detailed errors from IIS logs?

There is no such thing.

You have traffic logs, and some errors there. But there is no such thing as just an error log

I don't really know how you do it here. IIS generates errors. They can be logged into a text file, db or into event viewer logs. And then IIS gets set to send friendly error messages to browsers because you don't want every dork on the internet knowing your details. Well I need to see what the web server is telling me about what is going wrong so I can figure out what adjustments need to be made. I know that I have several problems going on with this application and really don't even know where to start because I can't get the designed feedback from the webserver...basically I am trying to find a needle in a haystack LOL

I don't really know how you do it here. IIS generates errors. They can be logged into a text file, db or into event viewer logs. And then IIS gets set to send friendly error messages to browsers because you don't want every dork on the internet knowing your details. Well I need to see what the web server is telling me about what is going wrong so I can figure out what adjustments need to be made. I know that I have several problems going on with this application and really don't even know where to start because I can't get the designed feedback from the webserver...basically I am trying to find a needle in a haystack LOL
ok that is right, but the errors in event viewer, aren't going to use useful to you. What you need is for us to turn off friendly errors, and custom errors, so that the raw error comes to the brower, the techs can do that.

If it is asp.net you will need web.config to allow it as well, or techs can paste to you from the local server.

yes and again I got a response to my ticket:

"There is something in code which is causing the issue, we request you to please check.
and php is working for the moodle directory as well and info.php page is processing from
the mooodle directory.

http://www.kcalaman.com/moodle/info.php

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance."

Well thank you very much! Please tell me which line of the bazillion lines of code I should be looking at.

I have put up a test page to check connection to your database as well which work just fine. You can see that at testcon.php which is placed under your domain root.

Further the error logs are being generated and they are being generated. So now you need to figure out why this application is not working.

It is not working because mysql dies if more than 15 users connect at once. pconnect is set to false. the php error log indicates it's always a connect that fails before a close. in mysql the threads slow to a crawl and stop responding. Is this a problem with the mysqli driver and php? I don't know but I really think the problem is in mysql server or the msqli interface with php.

and given all that I am still putting time into troubleshooting the coding but I am taking stabs in the dark too because you also refuse to allow me to see the http errors returned by the web server.

If you want we can enable all the errors for you which will be logged in that same location. The HTTP error logs which are generated by IIS are in the location which is not accessible to public domain. I have checked them and do not find a thing in there for your domain.

and given all that I am still putting time into troubleshooting the coding but I am taking stabs in the dark too because you also refuse to allow me to see the http errors returned by the web server.
:rolleyes: yes this is frustrating because as I told you those won't do you any good, they don't log things like this.

We are not refusing to give you anything useful to you, if it was useful to you we'd give it to you. It has things like asp.net trust errors without details, it has asp page timed out errors, and things like this, not php errors, php.ini can set those parameters on your domain level on the server you are on.

can you set my virtual directory to display detailed errors instead of friendly errors?
It is done on a domain level, and you will need to edit the php.ini for your domain as well. Since it is PHP details you want you can increase the debug level within the php.ini

honestly I appreciate your help I do. I am a bit desparate ;). Perhaps I am trying to run an application that the server specs just are not well enough for it I think the PHP version should be 5.3 for one thing...and it's a PHP app not .net...can I migrate this over to linux and get php 5.3 support within my current reseller plan?

honestly I appreciate your help I do. I am a bit desparate ;). Perhaps I am trying to run an application that the server specs just are not well enough for it I think the PHP version should be 5.3 for one thing...and it's a PHP app not .net...can I migrate this over to linux and get php 5.3 support within my current reseller plan?
no. 5.3 is not supported yet.
5.3 changes a LOT of things in php, and it is not a drop in replacement.

OK this is very frustrating. It is not the PHP errors that I want here it's the HTTP errors. I am getting tired of people making me feel like an idiot.

http://www.kcalaman.com/moodle/

you go to that page you get a 404 error on index.php. There is something in the code that creates this problem I've seen it with other user actions. The problem I have is I cannot determine what the redirected page is that's not loading which is contained in the HTTP error logs from the web server. I need the detailed errors turned on to see this. PHP errors are errors that come from PHP code not the web server. Please stop telling me I need to "check the code" and see the "PHP errors only". What I need is out of the thousands of files what one actually has the code in it I am trying to "check".

:rolleyes: yes this is frustrating because as I told you those won't do you any good, they don't log things like this.

What are you telling me they don't log? The web server does not log the pages that throw errors? That is what I need. No other details I need to know what files are causing problems like this so I can then go to those files and troubleshoot the code. You must have some really interesting servers last web logs I looked at had all the HTTP requests and responses. Where is this information kept if it's not in the HTTP logs? And this information is contained in the detailed errors that IIS will send to my browser too...

What are you telling me they don't log? The web server does not log the pages that throw errors? That is what I need. No other details I need to know what files are causing problems like this so I can then go to those files and troubleshoot the code. You must have some really interesting servers last web logs I looked at had all the HTTP requests and responses. Where is this information kept if it's not in the HTTP logs? And this information is contained in the detailed errors that IIS will send to my browser too...
Sure there are http logs, you can enable them right from your CP. but HTTP logs are not detailed error logs....what you were asking here before was for detailed error logs, and the output of them, which with php, is set to output to browser, not to console, or a text log.

once enabling the http logs, FTP in to the user, look in the 'logs' folder, and you will see the output.

I need some mechanism to determine what actual files are throwing errors. Without this my whole troubleshooting process is crippled. PHP is throwing db errors so there is something wrong there too...but I expect an included file or redirect is causing a lot of these errors not to mention the actual reason the redirect is kicking in could give me an idea of things that are bogging down the application. But I need to know where to start looking please tell me how to get this information...

and I was not asking for detailed error logs I was asking for "detailed errors" to be turned on instead of the friendly errors from IIS. This is the microsoft terminology not mine but I am using the proper terms that I would need to use on an MCP exam and what IIS uses were I being tested on it.

Back