I am so frustrated

and I was not asking for detailed error logs I was asking for "detailed errors" to be turned on instead of the friendly errors from IIS. This is the microsoft terminology not mine but I am using the proper terms that I would need to use on an MCP exam and what IIS uses were I being tested on it.
They are and have been on all along. They always have been from PHP as well. From the php.ini you can edit and get even further debug level info etc.

We don't have friendly errors on by default, on any, nor do I remember any point we have.

I see log files for my domain. They have all the POST and GET methods but not the HTTP RESPONSES....I need somehow to see the responses. I do not even need to use log resources these things are returned to the browser if you have the "detailed errors" turned on in IIS right?

I need some mechanism to determine what actual files are throwing errors. Without this my whole troubleshooting process is crippled. PHP is throwing db errors so there is something wrong there too...but I expect an included file or redirect is causing a lot of these errors not to mention the actual reason the redirect is kicking in could give me an idea of things that are bogging down the application. But I need to know where to start looking please tell me how to get this information...

I'd suggest making a subdomain, and not putting it in a subfolder to start with that way you can isolate logs to ONLY that app and not the entire domain, from there your task will be made easier.

See this is the error I get. If the detailed errors are on I should see what file is not found right?

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

•Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
•If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
•Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

•Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
•Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

I'd suggest making a subdomain, and not putting it in a subfolder to start with that way you can isolate logs to ONLY that app and not the entire domain, from there your task will be made easier.

thank you for the advice. I actually regret not putting it at the root of my domain folder space but it's the only traffic on the site ...

See this is the error I get. If the detailed errors are on I should see what file is not found right?

The page cannot be found
The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

Please try the following:

•Make sure that the Web site address displayed in the address bar of your browser is spelled and formatted correctly.
•If you reached this page by clicking a link, contact the Web site administrator to alert them that the link is incorrectly formatted.
•Click the Back button to try another link.
HTTP Error 404 - File or directory not found.
Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

•Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 404.
•Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled Web Site Setup, Common Administrative Tasks, and About Custom Error Messages.

That is not a friendly error, that is a detailed error it is the page that you tried to view that is not available, that is ALL the info a 404 gives. Yes it is a 404. Please see last suggestion, make a subdomain, turn the logs on and work on it from there, it will save you some time in finding logs, and allow you to make a moodle specific php.ini as it will have its own domain root.

173.0.143.204 80 GET /moodle/login/index.php - 404 0 1856 261 12188 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/5.0+ <---

Why is a file that is residing on the server not available though? I actually did find the HTTP error logs that were turned on ...

2011-10-13 12:12:10 184.74.103.29 - W3SVC827 CL1-WIN28 173.0.143.204 80 POST /moodle/login/index.php - 500 0 606 843 43281 HTTP/1.1 Mozilla/4.0+(compatible;+MSIE+8.0;+Windows+NT+6.1;+Trident/4.0;+SLCC2;+.NET+CLR+2.0.50727;+.NET+CLR+3.5.30729;+.NET+CLR+3.0.30729;+Media+Center+PC+6.0;+InfoPath.2;+.NET4.0C) MOODLEID_=%25E9%25C3%2507O%25B6%257F%25B1%251B%25ECL%25EC%2527%25ED;+MoodleSession=4057472e783e6f3f5c7ef94ae7605968 http://www.kcalaman.com/moodle/login/index.php

There is a 500 error after which the entire application began to return a 404 error.

It may not be available due to an include failing, you can tell the PHP itself is working as the php coded redirects and includes are coming in.

It is odd that all started giving a 404 after that POST.

i just made a copy for you of the live log of today in the domain root, it has more than the copy currently on your account.

hummmmm....I see an error report earlier this year of moodle on windows once getting a 404 every page gives 404, very weird.

well yes that is what I have been saying forever it seems LMAO. Hey I have been in a windows shop on some major .com projects I am used to that detailed error returned to the browser telling me what include file is causing the problem. There has to be a way to know this is like finding a needle in a haystack!

and also this is why I think the IIS caching is what is causing the 404 errors...and I understand there is nothing we are going to do about that because you have to restart IIS on a production box which is only an emergency situation for the box itself.

well yes that is what I have been saying forever it seems LMAO. Hey I have been in a windows shop on some major .com projects I am used to that detailed error returned to the browser telling me what include file is causing the problem. There has to be a way to know this is like finding a needle in a haystack!
other php apps I have seen such errors come to the browser, this is a very odd case. I've been going through it systematically my eyes are burning red now from staring too long. I am taking a break from it and will come back, maybe something will slap me on the head while away.

thanks for the help I appreciate it! I am going to be working hard to figure this all out this weekend I will tell you that. This app is goofy that is for sure however I really love what it does for education and want to use it.

Here is the response through the support team:

Hello,

Sorry but there is no Error log for IIS, there is something in moodle application
which is causing php pages not to work with in moodle, however info.php page which is in moodle directory works.
http://www.kcalaman.com/moodle/info.php

PHP logs for the application would be more informative in this case.

Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.

With Regards,
Ashwani

Which incidently is the same spinning response i had gotten a few other times LOL.

Here is what I sent back:

honestly I am insulted by this continued response. There certainly is an error log for a web server it's ridiculous to say there isn't lol.

My application has it's own error handling but when the errors were thrown IIS intercepted them as it's own errors and threw the 404 error pages from the web server. This incidentally is why the detailed messages were not being returned because the error information was actually in the application itself! So I had to change a configuration parameter in web.config to override this behavior:

<system.webServer>

<httpErrors existingResponse="PassThrough" />

</system.webServer>

I do apologize for my persistence in this matter I truly do and I also appreciate your time and efforts spent trying to help. I am a very busy person as you all are I am sure and I have been stuck for a few weeks on these problems. I haven't been this frustrated since I was really clueless I can say that...but it all comes down to troubleshooting and following the process so you don't spin your wheels. And when you take a critical informational component out of the troubleshooting loop you are really in trouble! It's all about finding actual problems and not putting out fires and we need the proper diagnostics to find the actual problems that we need to solve.

Now I got it working and i can see if there is a way I can figure out some performance problems next. I really think some of this issue comes down to session handling and caching but we shall see. I think I will need to do some analysis of queries in mysql ... I know I am MCDBA and I would certainly be tracing some queries in MSSQL but the diagnostic tools do not seem to be available so I am not sure how it's to be done but we shall see.

other php apps I have seen such errors come to the browser, this is a very odd case. I've been going through it systematically my eyes are burning red now from staring too long. I am taking a break from it and will come back, maybe something will slap me on the head while away.

Mr. Poncho I appreciate all your assistance in these matters. You have a lot of people you are trying to manage here and doing your customer service like this in public is very respectable for a company. You are as skilled in customer management as you are in technology that is a valuable asset for the jodo team.

Oh i just got this Gem of a response:

Hello,

As per support forum, Our Operation manager Stephen already suggest you the solution. Kindly update us again if you need further assistance.

Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

With Regards
Shubham Saxena

LMAO

Oh i just got this Gem of a response:

Hello,

As per support forum, Our Operation manager Stephen already suggest you the solution. Kindly update us again if you need further assistance.

Please feel free to contact us for any further assistance.

With Regards
Shubham Saxena

LMAO

Actually, I am thinking to make a subdomain of it just to test it out, I still think it may be the best route for testing this issue. My weekend ended up being loaded with issues, and for some reason the forum did not mark this thread as updated, and hence I forgot it. CP was a paint his weekend.
I have a long todo list and making time to help in this, as it is one of the more obscure and odd cases I have seen in the last 2 years.

<system.webServer>

<httpErrors existingResponse="PassThrough" />

</system.webServer> <--- this has zero impact on IIS6. that is IIS7 functions ignored when on web.config in iis6

Back