Jodohost - The Pople(')s Host

ok :)

i have learned (or learnt?) more in this thread than in one 45minutes long english lesson at school! :D

Can you name a word that actually has two apostrophes?
Couldn't've --> Could not have
Wouldn't've --> Would not have
Example:
I couldn't've crashed my website without Yash's help! ;)
Doesn't English just suck?
How about:
Yash's programmers' reference books couldn't've helped the people's websites from crashing and erasing everyone's shopping cart items.
Ewww.
-Dave

DirtBag said:
ok :)

i have learned (or learnt?) more in this thread than in one 45minutes long english lesson at school! :D

Another extra value you get with jodohost.

By the way, be carefull with verb contractions and possesive pronouns. For example, to the question, "Is your site running?" you might respond, "It's running and its performance is excellent." This would translate as "It is running and the site's performance is excellent."

Yes Dave, English sucks.

riley

LegalAlien said:
you people are crazy!! 8) So I guess English isn't the first language of some of you in here?

Born, raised and, most importantly, educated in the USA. So, yes, proper English is not my first language. :)

riley

Peoples' host would be wrong, because people is already plural. "Peoples" only makes sense if you use it to at least 2 different groups of people, for example people from two nations you mentioned earlier.

I thought we had already established that People's is right!?
I think we should move the discussion onto why the Jodologo is still not gracing the top left of this forum!! ?(

Yes we had, but WineIsGood apparently didn't agree ;)
As for the logo, I posted about that like a month ago..

My post did say that The People's Host is correct if you are using The People as a plural group, but wrong if you're using The People in the singular form of a single group of people, such as a nation of people, as someone else pointed out. Therefore, The People's Host is correct for one group of people, but wrong for many groups of people.
Just leave the darn thing ... there are so many spelling errors worse than a misplaced apostrophe!
-Dave

WineIsGood said:
My post did say that The People's Host is correct if you are using The People as a plural group, but wrong if you're using The People in the singular form of a single group of people, such as a nation of people, as someone else pointed out. Therefore, The People's Host is correct for one group of people, but wrong for many groups of people.
Just leave the darn thing ... there are so many spelling errors worse than a misplaced apostrophe!
-Dave

I followed the discussion. Too complicate things.. when text is meant as an artistic statement in e.g. a strap-line for a logo then it's allowed to be grammatically incorrect for example "englands northwest" (used by NDA see http://www.nwda.co.uk/images/Home/enwLogo.gif). So "peoples host" or "people's host" or "peoples' host" can all be correct in this context.

SubSpace said:
Even if it's allowed, in this case it would just make you look like an illiterate, imo :)

The word "illiterate" might be too strong, see the definition at http://www.yourdictionary.net/illiterate.html

You could argue that it's grammatically incorrect but you could also interprete its presentation as an artistic expression as a more advanced understanding of language.

As Aristotle says: "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."

True, but the aesthetical difference between people's and peoples is - in my opinion - so minute that it would mostly look like you don't know your grammar, rather than that you know your grammar, but decided to write it incorrectly anyway :)

As a Professor of English, I can verily tell you that it's neither "People's" nor "Peoples". It should be "Peepholes"

The Frog said:
As a Professor of English, I can verily tell you that it's neither "People's" nor "Peoples". It should be "Peepholes"
OH, ya of course
Why the hell didn't we think of that??

Back