Mail Down and resolved only 24 hours later

Hi,

My WinVPS email was down and after 24 hours, I was told that:

"the Mail enable POP service was stop.... You emails will work now. You have a VPS account and you have to monitor your Services. We are not monitoring any VPS services. You need to monitor and manage your Services. You have already root access (vps server access) then you can monitoring it and start stop any service. We are not monitoring all clients vps services because it's not possible for us. We suggest you can monitoring your vps at your end and you can contact us if you will getting any major problem or dont understand about any service or error we can help you instantly. Anyway after restarted mail service it's working.please let us know if you still facing any problem for your vps. So, because of this reason we can not refund any money to you."

My questions are:

1) Yesterday we told you at noon about this problem but it takes about 24 hours for you to resolve it and then you said we should have monitored it on our end? We did not disable Mail and we've told you 24 hours ago. So what do you mean?

2) Someone must have done something to WinVPS which disabled it and it's beyond my control... and why take 24 hours to resolve it? It must be something unresolveable by your team as well isn't it?

3) If it seems so easy for you to say that I can just monitor and correct any problem if any service stopped, why did it take the technical support team 24 hours to resolve the problem? After all, I have Remote Access and Plesk login but the technical support team has access to the whole server and still need 24 hours to resolve it? What I need to know is: what is considered downtime? Isn't my ticket yesterday proof that there was downtime and technical support didn't resolve until today?

:(

Hello,

We do NOT provide fully managed services, the mail services mostly stop when ram limits are reached, you have remote access to login and fix.

Contrary to what you have said, many people change passwords and we do not have access to their servers. We do not login and fix the issues unless directly requested to, and we do that on a very limited basis as we are only there to guide you in the steps to resolve the problem on your own.

If you wish for us to manage and monitor your VPS services you will need to speak to the sale dept about such a package and what you need monitored and done.

1) It's a new WinVPS account (1 month old) and couldn't have been Ram problem.

2) Clearly the technical support cannot resolve it and they didn't ask me for the password to WinVPS.

1) It can have ram full in 1 minute, the age does not matter.
2) We can resolve it, but you can too, simply restart it, mail servers have to be restarted sometimes, queue's get hung, pop hangs, etc.

All services can hang at some point or another, we provide you with VZPP, RDP, Plesk Service Manager in RDP, all these allow you to restart the service.

In addition I never saw your ticket, you can get more specialized support by sending tickets via the hsphere login or to support/@/jodovps.com every ticket in the last 2 months has been replied within 20-30 minutes on there.

Still note, that we are here to guide you, not to manage it for you.

?(

I didn't know the service response time of 24 hours from our reported downtime to recovery is justified by Jodohost and upon resolving the problem by the EXPERIENCED technical support team after 24 hours, we (inexperienced) are at fault for not ensuring that we go in and restart the service by ourselves.

I just signed up for WinVPS and already experienced these type of support response time.

This is not my first surprise. My first surprise was when I asked support how to upload files to WinVPS server, I was told to search for the answer at Google. I still have the ticket number to show you this response given to me by technical support team...

Patrick,

VPS is like a dedicated server, just in a virtualized enviroment that costs less.

There are many ways to upload, RDP, FTP, etc. there is also a special support desk in your hsphere cp for VPS accounts, that you have not used, as I have never once seen a ticket from you.
I personally audit and review all replies to this desk, the other is mixed with reseller/shared/sales/billing etc.

Again about the 24 hours, I am sorry it happened but it is not our task to manage your VPS or monitor your VPS. We provide the resources and tools, and allow the customer to maintain their own server. When asked to login and assist we will do so in a limited fashion, if there is a large task it will need to be billed on a one time basis or a monthly basis for a package. Nowhere have we claimed that we monitor your vps and services, only that we provide windows updates as they are approved by swsoft.

RS #LMV-61818-744
This ticket was opened yesterday. My client called me and was jumping on me. After submitting and no response was heard for 3-4 hours, I used chat and was told they are looking into it. Only today then when I submit the request for refund ticket (GHW-22821-384) then the technical support took less than a hour to respond and say that the email problem is resolved so no refund is allowed.

Patrick, as a relative newcomer to the world of VPS myself I can appreciate your confusion at how to work in this strange new world of unmanaged services. It takes a little getting used to, it takes a *lot* of homework and an equal amount of effort on your part.

Read the fine print: it really is *your* server -- the guys at jodohost do an amazing job and go above and beyond the call of duty in trying to help keep the thing humming along, but apart for really fundamental hardware disasters or issues related to the underlying VPS systems, it's up to you to make sure your server is happy.

Having said that, I've called on the jodohost techies time and again over the past six months to get help with stuff where they could arguably have said: "hey, that's not for us to deal with" but almost every time they've been willing to a) solve my problem for me, and b) been nice about it. PLESK is nasty, mail servers can be a pain, but dont' blame jodohost for that -- learn how to fix it, or ask them nicely to help out.

If you're serious about running your own server you need to get up to speed on what that requires *real* quick -- it's really quite an eye opener to realize how much day-to-day stuff you become responsible for when you take it on.

When was the last time you looked thru your log files?

It's phenomenally frustrating when a server you can't go kick starts to behave badly, but don't take it out on the jodohost team -- they're really your best allies here.

FWIW...

Patrick,

Please see my part about where to submit tickets, it will streamline things a lot for you to submit via the jodovps helpdesk or to the mail address I gave(unmunging it first, as it doesn't need to get spammed)

As thingwarbler has set, the log files can be a good item to look into, it can asist you in the why's and how's of an app not working.

Reseller hosting was stable... only I had several incidences of defacement to all sites that Prakash recommended that I use VPS cos each FTP login to one website files and it won't affect other files.

So now I'm here and I'm a little disappointed at how customers need to fend on their own to report and need to wait for very long time for help because VPS hosting "is our own business" and it's right for technical support to wait to help us because we didn't pay for managed services fees.

And the most surprising part is when help comes 24 hours later, the solution sounded so simple to resolve that you wonder why it took technical support so long to attend to the problem and then tell you that it need only to take 5 minutes to identify the problem and 5 minutes to resolve the problem ourselves. So... what's the wait all about? A punishment for us for signing up with VPS service?

patrick,

It is partially because it is mixed in with everything else reseller/shared. See my previous posts please.

the defacements were due to some insecurity in the php apps you had, and the way hpshere has all domains under one account accessible to each other. There is no punishment, it is just a different service offering. You could, and can still setup different accounts for each domain, so server the same purpose as the VPS did to separate out the domain accounts. However, learning to restart the services is not hard, use the welcome mail, login to VZPP, set the timezone(so all the features work), go to Services, and push restart on the ones labelled "MailEnable"

Stephen,

I'm wondering if it would be helpful for you & the tech guys to put together a VPS 101 FAQ now that you've had a decent # of more or less experienced users running various setups for some months.

I know I would have loved to have been given an informal user's manual that could have explained really basic stuff like "here's where PLESK hides the PHP.ini file" and "five easy steps to checking if your app is running or not -- and what to do if it isn't" that would guide you thru the VPS universe of checking both virtuozzo, plesk services, and the OS services interface and how to restart various things.

While I accept (in hindsight) the underlying assumption on your part that if we chose to get behind the wheel of a VPS we should know how to drive the damn thing, it's really helpful to be given a little info up front, rather than have to learn the hard way as we go along...

Anyway, thanks to Thingswarbler and Stephen for the responses. It's lightning fast replies to a forum that I've had participated in so far.

You never seen comments by me in this forum during these 2 years of being with the reseller hosting because it has a very stable reseller hosting service. If I have a choice, I'd rather pay for a new package that allows individual FTP access to each domain in a reseller hosting package than VPS. :))

We are working on the FAQ it's just taking a while :)
I reply just as fast at the address I gave for jodovps, as it comes to my phone. Thingwarbler gets a number of mails from me on my phone :)

Hi, the WinVPS is down again now. My ticket number is RS #HMU-33117-953. Is it undergoing any maintenance?

Billing Username:
onlinevps

VPS NODE:
WinVPS6

VPS Hostname:
VPS274

no maintneance, as i said many times in this thread, please submit tickets to the vps helpdesk for the fastest resolution, you have access to VZPP to restart your own VPS as well.

that bieng said, your VPs looks to be up it has php cgi process spawning and it is using CPU.

I can't access to anywhere. Try to do it yourself by going to: https://64.187.104.26:8443

My 30+ websites are currently down and I hope that the technical support won't take another 24 hours later then tell me that it'll actually take 5 mins to solve by restarting again on my own.

It's down and I'm not telling stories.

I know there won't be much support for VPS in future as I'm not familiar with VPS and it's impossible to put my clients' website at risk of downtime without timely technical support. Actually, pressing restart or detecting downtime by ourselves may seem easy for you, but for non-server administrator, its sheer luck that today I can detect and ask for help so timely because today is public holiday and I don't have to go to work.

Patrick,

You can login to your VZPP, it is available, it is the managment tool for you to access your VPS when there is a problem.

i am restarting your VPS for you for now, but you can do this anytime on the VZPP.

Patrick,

You can login to your VZPP, it is available, it is the managment tool for you to access your VPS when there is a problem.

i am restarting your VPS for you for now, but you can do this anytime on the VZPP.

Once I installed the JMAIL component and support said I can restart. In the end, support said they'll have to restart for me each time I required it. So, I don't think I can restart it as I don't have that level of permission. I'm not telling stories as since then, I know I definitely can't restart or do anything like that on my own.

Back