Protecting Windows Folders

I know this question has been answered a few times, but all the responses didn't seem to help me. I'm on Win7 and I'm trying to protect a folder. i.e. Username/Password access to the folder. The last time I did this, I had to open a ticket, so I opened a ticket and they said I now had the ability to do so myself. Well I can't figure it out. I go into the FileManager interface and click the "Protect" button at the bottom of the left half of the interface. This launches a new window, the "Protect Wizard". The instructions say to click the folder you want to protect, which I do. Then it says to click the add button. I don't have an add button. What am I doing wrong. This is very frustrating, until now I've considered myself a pretty bright individual, capable of following directions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
John

I've looked at that link, and it's useless. All it says is that it's possible. It doesn't give any instructions on HOW to do it. It says to click the Help button in the interface, which I've done and the manual says to click the "Add" button, but I don't see an add button. I really need help here, not just a link to a document unless the document actually gives you instructions on how to do it.

For clarification, I'm logging into: https://cp.jodoshared.com/ and clicking on the "FileManager" icon there. Is this the right spot for me to go to do this? Or am I missing something basic?

Thanks.
John

yes login to webshell / filemanager then on the right you see a button called 'protect'

click that

it sets the users etc and relm name

then navigate though the left folder tree to the folder you wish to protect,

click the folder image like this
folder.png

then on the right 1/4 of the way down you see the padlock

click the create button for 'create .htaccess file'

and use the pop up to manage the users, and then save the settings.

Emagine said:
then on the right 1/4 of the way down you see the padlock

eh? no padlock on my screen, I just tried it. We must be seeing different skins or something.

I've had bother with this in the past, too.
Open the file manager. Click 'protect'. Navigate in the wizard dsiplay till you can see the folder you want to protect by clicking on the filenames, not the icons. (This is what I kept doing wrong.) When you can see the folder you want to protect, click on its
folder.png
icon. Then it asks if you want to create the htmaster file, and you can then add a user and password.

the padlock in on the left side of the right pane, its erelivent but just on the side but it is right as i did so when writing it.

i did it step by step myself and wrote it

My Service account is on Win7 and Emagine's instructions are spot on.

Take note that the protect he mentions is the one on the right, not the bottom.

JoCald said:
Take note that the protect he mentions is the one on the right, not the bottom.

ah... I see he did say that. That's what I get for skimming... I've always used the one at the bottom, so I didn't even look for one at the right. The one at the bottom is always there, while the one at the right only appears as long as you haven't done anything else, otherwise you have to refresh the page in the browser to get it to show again (which is probably why I've never used it).
My instructions are only correct if you use the 'protect' button at the bottom of the page.

Back