Raw Logs problem

Riley, I will set permissions on that folder for you, they are logging right to your folder, and I was not thinking they would make a sub folder, my fault there.

I will check on that other domain now, and give you folder permissions.

Stephen said:
Riley, I will set permissions on that folder for you, they are logging right to your folder, and I was not thinking they would make a sub folder, my fault there.

I can get to the folders, but I don't think anything is being logged. I have evidence elsewhere (db, files, etc) of activities over the past 12 hours, but nothing logged to ANY of the domains. W3sp not logging either and no subfolder. As for the subfolders themselves, I don't mind; I just want my IIS log files.

As for the problem itself, I am growing increasingly frustrated. IIS logging is a fundamental thing in a Windows hosting environtment. It isn't supposed to be so difficult. We are almost 10 days into this issue and it still isn't working.

riley

Stephen said:

Still nothing being logged.

In each of the subfolders there is a single file that was created when you set up this type of logging about 18 hours ago. Since then, NOTHING is being logged. I'm not sure if I should create a ticket for this because the person that reads the ticket might not be aware of the changes that were made. Can I expect some type of resolution to this?

riley

riley, we are working on this
Stephen will get back to you shortly. Stephen is handling your ticket

In the mean time, I've shot off another email to PSOFT

I believe these problems are resolved now, psoft has still not answered the questions raised initially, but it seems the only logging method that works now is the hsphere web log plugin, they have a update version that fixes the referer and cookie swaping and the space or + issue, hopefully it also fixed the hourly bug.

Stephen said:
I believe these problems are resolved now, psoft has still not answered the questions raised initially, but it seems the only logging method that works now is the hsphere web log plugin, they have a update version that fixes the referer and cookie swaping and the space or + issue, hopefully it also fixed the hourly bug.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "problems are resolved now." Currently, out of 3 domains and 2 subdomains, only 1 domain is logging anything and it's logged to a single (daily) file in a subfolder with the same default fields that someone at Psoft decided should be there.

If I understand the essence of what you're saying, raw Windows IIS log files will no longer available in your Windows Hosting environment and the Hsphere log plugin offers no control over how logging takes place. Did I get that right? If so, please just put it back the way it was before we started this week-long fiasco. I give up.

riley

I had already placed it back to the way it was a week ago, and given you access to the foders, and you said you still did not have access to them, and more importantly, it was not making any logs, Psoft (the development company that makes hsphere) is not being responsive here and not getting back to us on this. I then reset your domains back to the "hsphere" logging method (that is new in 2.4) and am surprised to hear it is not generating anything, I will check on this yet again, this is a nightmare, and I am not thinking good things of psoft at the moment for sure. I am trying my hardest to get this resolved for you.

Stephen said:
I had already placed it back to the way it was a week ago, and given you access to the foders, and you said you still did not have access to them, and more importantly, it was not making any logs, Psoft (the development company that makes hsphere) is not being responsive here and not getting back to us on this. I then reset your domains back to the "hsphere" logging method (that is new in 2.4) and am surprised to hear it is not generating anything, I will check on this yet again, this is a nightmare, and I am not thinking good things of psoft at the moment for sure. I am trying my hardest to get this resolved for you.

Stephen,

I appreciate your efforts.
I'm not sure what state the logs are in right now, because currently, Win1 seems to be down.

riley

IIS hung on Win1, has been restarted and taken care of. We are looking into the cause of that

I did receive a response from PSOFT saying that the cookie and referrer issue was fixed with patch1 but they haven't said anything about hourly logging :(

Yash said:
IIS hung on Win1, has been restarted and taken care of. We are looking into the cause of that

I did receive a response from PSOFT saying that the cookie and referrer issue was fixed with patch1 but they haven't said anything about hourly logging :(

Are you going to install patch1? I assume you have not done so yet, because I'm still seeing referrer in the cookie field.

riley

Stephen said:

The sites seem to be logging now, but they are still logging into subfolders. Following the "upgrade" to 2.4, the logs were written to folders like this:
/logs/mydomain.com/exyymmdd.log
After your attempt to restore IIS log functionallity, they were (and still are) written like this:
/logs/mydomain.com/w3svc12/exyymmdd.log
I'd like to get back to the first format, eliminating the w3svcxx folders.

As for psoft, one would think that a company with thier experience and large user-base would have better judgement than to intercept and make unavailable fundamental features of the MS server. I can only assume they are primarily *nix guys and just don't get it when it comes to the MS environment.

Stephen, I know you are trying hard. Just get it back the way it was (no subfolders) and let's drop the issue.

riley

I will do my very best to honor that request, the problem I ran into was that if I set it to the hsphere log drop folder, the files would not be transferred to your folder (as I guess it noticed I was not using "their" plugin for a little while or something) and when I assign it a folder to drop to (yours, where you can at least see them) it appends the service ID name with the folder, I will see if there is any way I can modify that. And I apologize about all of these problems, they have me as angry as you.

Could you send me a Private Message with a preffered domain for testing, at the moment you are at least getting logs, adn I would prefer to keep it that way, I would like to test one domain for a direct drop, and see if that works or not. So if you could send a PM with the "least" critical domain, I would be most thankful.

Stephen said:
Could you send me a Private Message with a preffered domain for testing, at the moment you are at least getting logs, adn I would prefer to keep it that way, I would like to test one domain for a direct drop, and see if that works or not. So if you could send a PM with the "least" critical domain, I would be most thankful.

Done.

riley

Yes, patch1 was installed 24 hours ago. Stephen will be looking into your logging issues again in a few hours from now

I now have the official words from PSoft on this, the module does not do hourly log generation, the option is there but does not work. They also have no intention of fixing this any time soon, so I am working my hardest to find a workaround, as I understand this is an important matter for you.

Again I am sorry about how long this is taking. We are trying hard to work this out, and now that we know PSoft is out of the picture we will have to work it out fully on our own.

Stephen said:
I now have the official words from PSoft on this, the module does not do hourly log generation, the option is there but does not work. They also have no intention of fixing this any time soon, so I am working my hardest to find a workaround, as I understand this is an important matter for you.

Again I am sorry about how long this is taking. We are trying hard to work this out, and now that we know PSoft is out of the picture we will have to work it out fully on our own.

Stephen,
If PSoft only supports daily logs in a format of their own specification, than that's just the way it is. As much as I appreciate the effort you have put into this issue, I'm not sure it's worth while putting a lot of time into a workaround. Workarounds have a habit of breaking as things in the system change. I think I will just have to live with PSoft's peculiar vision of the Microsoft world. With that said, the only thing left to fix is the subfolders I mentioned in a previous post. And if that proves too problematic a task, I suppose I can live with that too -- it's not that big of a deal. I will be moving off of Win1 soon and maybe that will take care of the subfolder thing.

As a friendly word of advice, I would recommend that Jodohost update their web site page that details the Windows hosting packages offered. In the "Statistics" section there is a row labeled "Raw Log Access" with Yes for all packages. Most people shopping for Windows Hosting will interpret that as meaning "Raw IIS Logs" and that is not what these log files are. I suggest Jodohost remove that line or, at least, find something else to call it.

riley

I think you are right on the IIS logs wording now, since that has all changed with the 2.4 upgrade. I will speak with Yash about it ASAP. Thank you for being very understanding here, I just wish I had better news to give you.

Stephen said:
I now have the official words from PSoft on this, the module does not do hourly log generation, the option is there but does not work.
QUOTE]

I guess I'm confused. My log files are updated throughout the day... it just writes it to 1 filename per day.

In other words...

IIS created a new log file every hour with that hours activity.

HSphere seems to create a new log file every day but updates it hourly with that hours activity.

My biggest problem is the name of the logfile (the date) is so far off of my timezone that I am having problems generating my reports.

Andy

Back