Re Mail 1 Down

BluJag

Perch
20 Apr 07 07:04 GMT

I've seen that Stephen is slaving away in the data centre to get Mail1 up and running again.

My own emails are failing so I suspect that they are on Mail1

In my Jodo CP under Domain Aliases it lists mail.my... etc Is Mail the same as Mail1 ?

The IP address which is failing is 204.14.107.1

Thanks.

that is mail1, mail1 is the only one having any issue. We have the data here as well, but with production activity the drive is going offline (I guess you could say "giving up")

"mail." does not really mean mail1, as each client of a reseller has mail.theirdomain.com, it is a CNAME record in DNS.

I was scheduled to leave yesterday morning and missed, then this happens, what a day :(

When do you think this problem will be resolved? It is more than sis hours and my clients are very angry with me. I would like to know if there is a solution like horde

on the main subject on this in the outages forum, we said 5 hours at 4:12AM we are still on that pace now.

on the main subject on this in the outages forum, we said 5 hours at 4:12AM we are still on that pace now.

according to my count, the 5 hour estimate was 6 hours ago now.
any updates?

am glad this happened on a Friday at least, things here are slow on Fridays...

keep up the good work Stephen and Tanmaya, just looking for an update.
cheers :thumb:

Stephen , I think you must talk with your hardware provider because is not very usual that RAID 1 was down completly. This is the second time it has happened.

Good job , Tanmaya and Stephen!!

equanimity,

We have CEASED from using Maxtor HDs, we had bought them in bulk about a year and a half ago, and had many in production, if I get a moment today I will take a snap of all the DEAD maxtor's and it won't even be all of them, as we have sent some back, etc.

We have learned the are not the only ones with Maxtor Atlas V drives that have done this to them, the worst part was that they failed literally within minutes of each other, and now as we restore it goes offline in minutes, so we are having to copy in batches. ( we can take the drives one at a time and run in degraded mode to copy the files, since one failed moments before the other putting both in at the same time says the drives are "impacted" and wants us to do a verify) We will not do this verify at this point as it would ruin the data on at least one of the drives, and we have a better chance to get all the data from 2 that went offline so closely together, than with one that won't even clone itself to the other and ruin the destination drive at the same time.

Stephen, I know what you guys are going through, and I appreciate your hard work in getting this resolved.

Maxtor used to be a quality hard drive, but about 3 years ago I gave up on them. There's something about them that when they fail, they don't like to go down alone. They always take some other component down with them! Where I used to work we had Maxtors on the mail server and one of our web servers, and they both crashed hard within 12 hours of each other. One took out the RAID and the other fried something on the motherboard. Took 3 of us 6 hours on the web server and 8 hours on the mail server to rebuild and recover the data.

I now prefer to use Seagate or Hitachi drives. WD is still good, but usually cost a little more and their warranty isn't as good. Of course, I don't build production servers any more, so I'm simply speaking from a PC or external HDD builder's perspective.

We have already moved to Seagate's for the most part. All new purchases are Seagate too mostly. No Maxtor's being purchased for long now.

Good luck you guys - I know you're working fingers to the bone on this one. It is unfortunate as I've been expecting some important business emails this morning and am now half way through the afternoon still not able to check my email. Hope you resolve it soon. :)

I'm quite sure you wont loose your mails for the day, they sure will have delay, but we weren't able to save mails between April 14th and April 19th. We have not given up yet and going to try an option to give us even small part of all lost data.

my staff last check emails 4pm (GTM time) yesterday. Are you saying that emails since then may still be somewhere? If so, where? Friday is our busiest day for inquiries. I have currently paused our Google clicks - until the email problem is sorted, but furious if we have lost so many leads overnight and today.

Nathan

Agni Travel Corfu

If your new mails came in after 1:00 AM EDT(GMAT-4), you may still get them with a delay.

At last, email seems to be back!

BUT, although I can send emails, NONE are being downloaded.

Please tell me this isn't true.

equanimity, mail-services are available now.
Nathan, please be a bit patient, thousands of emails are to be processed and it will take some time.

great to see things coming in again
jyst not sure why i am getting all OLD mails that i downloaded ages ago?

thanks again for all the hard work

Back