Server Down?

Yash said:
Yes, we'll look at more effective ways to warn customers about high usage problems before it comes to a point where we have to disable that site. This is all planned for the new cluster we'll have up shortly.

Win5 is going to be pulled down after all sites are transferred off it.

What is the timing of the cluster?

So, you're saying that if I put my site back up with the Access database, disable most of it until I can convert to SQL so as not to cause the problem again, it will be re-activated? If I then convert to SQL, I will be given notice (before being pulled) if the site, in the new configuration, starts to consume too many resources? The notice would have to be about a week to allow sufficient time to switch to a new host...is that workable?

We have disabled only one SQL Server database till date. The customer's site was literally hammering the server with SQL queries every other second. I have no idea what that customer was doing but it was definately abnormal.

I don't know how your site will behave on MS SQL. But if your backend was causing the high usage, MS SQL should definately solve that. I've always recommended MS SQL.

Hawkeye said:
What is the timing of the cluster?

So, you're saying that if I put my site back up with the Access database, disable most of it until I can convert to SQL so as not to cause the problem again, it will be re-activated? If I then convert to SQL, I will be given notice (before being pulled) if the site, in the new configuration, starts to consume too many resources? The notice would have to be about a week to allow sufficient time to switch to a new host...is that workable?

Currently, Win5 is in such an unstable state that if it starts generating such high usage, we'll have to pull it down.

You can do that. But you really should disable anything with the database till you can convert to MS SQL. The new cluster should be up by Friday (or Monday latest) and I'll ensure your's is the first site we transfer off.

I would advise not to use the MS Access version. It's nothing to do with the size of the database but with the number of concurrent users. MS SQL is probably less efficient in database size but much more efficient and effective in dealing with multiple users, and thus doesn't hog the processor as much. I bet much of your problems will not occur when using MS SQL even with a growth of your userbase.

So don't gamble and transfer MS Access to MS SQL or disable database elements altogether

Yash said:
Incorrect. Companies like Gearhost.com put ms sql on the same server (at least that is what Drew from MadASP told me)

I never said that! MISS QUOTE! They keep MSSQL on a different computer on the same network.

Yash said:
Currently, Win5 is in such an unstable state that if it starts generating such high usage, we'll have to pull it down.

You can do that. But you really should disable anything with the database till you can convert to MS SQL. The new cluster should be up by Friday (or Monday latest) and I'll ensure your's is the first site we transfer off.

Ok, I'm going to have to think about this for awhile and make a decision. It's difficult to change over to SQL so quickly because the learning curve for me is high, having never dealt with it before. So, it will take some time.

In the meantime, If I do bring the access site back up, I will disable the entire forum and also let you know. I'm going to have to wait a few days before doing anything though. Once the new cluster is up, would that improve things for the site running on Access until I can convert? (since we will also be moving off of Win5)?

Hawkeye said:
Ok, I'm going to have to think about this for awhile and make a decision. It's difficult to change over to SQL so quickly because the learning curve for me is high, having never dealt with it before. So, it will take some time.

In the meantime, If I do bring the access site back up, I will disable the entire forum and also let you know. I'm going to have to wait a few days before doing anything though. Once the new cluster is up, would that improve things for the site running on Access until I can convert? (since we will also be moving off of Win5)?

As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't risk to run the MS Access version of the site. MS SQL is not too difficult, just go for advise on the asp invision support portal. You will notice that actually most developments were first made for the SQL version before the access version and that includes most of the mods as well. Jodhost has a good online function that will help you backup the database but also access its tables, which look very similar to access.

If my site is generating so much CPU usage by getting a date, and then one query on ONLY the main page (with every .net object disposed) then I must switch to dedicated hosting with 300mb tops of bandwith and 17mb of space usage....

Yash said:
There is no such upper limit. A site getting 10,000 visitors a day may not generate as much processor usage as a site getting 2000 visitors a day. it depends how the site has been designed.
We have a strict privacy policy so I can't let you know of any sites we host. I can say however that we host alot of portals, commercial sites and even a web hosting directory. This forum has plenty of urls mentioned

eko, surely you don't take that post seriously :)
Currently, our datacenter monitors our servers for us. We are immediately notified on downtime.

Well, it's not hard to find out what sites you host on these servers. I found 169 (not many by any means) on my shared IP via whois. I'm not sure how many of those are dynamic.

Regardless, the future of web design is dynamic and the future is now. There are scores of reasons to use dynamic pages. Bandwidth, diskspace, updating, editing, etc. I guess the only downside is CPU.

Personally, I would hope to have 50,000 visitors to any one of my sites everyday. Who wouldn't? The current site I'm devloping on JodoHost contains almost all dynamic content.

Maybe the future of Hosting is to charge by hybrid of bandwidth and CPU. If nothing else, providers need to commuicate that concern to customers.

I appreciate JH's prices and CF. So if I only can use JH for development, that's fine with me. I'm just glad I found out about these issues now, before, for instance, starting an ad compaign worth thousands.

Finally, Yash. I think you should sticky a thread somewhere that is updated DAILY concerning the new clusters, the domain prohibition, etc. "Next Week" only works for 7 days.

We have customers running full fledged commercial and community websites with us. They are 100% asp or asp.net. It really takes alot to use that much of CPU

dx4 said:
If my site is generating so much CPU usage by getting a date, and then one query on ONLY the main page (with every .net object disposed) then I must switch to dedicated hosting with 300mb tops of bandwith and 17mb of space usage....

dx4,
there was a mistake. Our administrator had not brought down your website. He had assumed you were some other website while answering the ticket. Sorry for the confusion. Your site went down because Win5 had crashed again

Yash said:
dx4,
there was a mistake. Our administrator had not brought down your website. He had assumed you were some other website while answering the ticket. Sorry for the confusion. Your site went down because Win5 had crashed again

Win5 has crashed again since my site was disabled (mid-day Saturday), or was this before?

Yash said:
dx4,

I want to say what jodohost has disable my domain is not normal way.

eko said:
As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't risk to run the MS Access version of the site. MS SQL is not too difficult, just go for advise on the asp invision support portal. You will notice that actually most developments were first made for the SQL version before the access version and that includes most of the mods as well. Jodhost has a good online function that will help you backup the database but also access its tables, which look very similar to access.

Thanks for the help Eco - I have indeed started scanning ASPInvision for migration-specific items (Access to SQL) and have found a few things. From what I have read, the Upsize Wizard within access seems to be the best way to go. I have tried this, unsuccessfully, once just as a test (after creating the SQL admin ID and database within HSPHERE). So, Im still looking at that further.

The timing of the new v3 of the portal is also complicating things because I would like to wait until that is released, then translate the tables within access to the new database structure (seems easier), THEN do the SQL upgrade...that would be ideal, but the release day will play a big part in how long I can wait.

The whole server crashed for 2 days? I'm sorry but I'm going to beleive that very likely.

Maybe I overreacted a little in my support ticket but, imagine if I had a business website, and it went down for 2 days because someone confused a support ticket with another website. Business or not Business, I like working on my website and would it to stay up.

Yash said:
dx4,

dx4 said:
The whole server crashed for 2 days? I'm sorry but I'm going to beleive that very likely.

Maybe I overreacted a little in my support ticket but, imagine if I had a business website, and it went down for 2 days because someone confused a support ticket with another website. Business or not Business, I like working on my website and would it to stay up.

No, and your website was not down for two days. IIS started crashing again every now and then on Win5. We've been able to control thatand Win5 is 100% stable now.

Thanks for all the suggestions on how we can stop IIS from crashing.
The most humorous suggestion we got was to disable ASP because its too old :)

Yash said:
No, and your website was not down for two days. IIS started crashing again every now and then on Win5. We've been able to control thatand Win5 is 100% stable now.
Well, then the server must have hated me because every time I tried during those two days it IIS gave the error that my site in under construction.
:)

dx4 said:
Well, then the server must have hated me because every time I tried during those two days it IIS gave the error that my site in under construction.
:)

I checked your website now as well as yesterday (when we discovered the mistake). Both times your site was active. Are you sure you are not seeing a cache?

Yash said:
I checked your website now as well as yesterday (when we discovered the mistake). Both times your site was active. Are you sure you are not seeing a cache?
Tried 3 different browsers, IE, Firebird, and Mozilla.

Back