user over quota ???

Logan

Perch
I'm not receiving e-mail from Yahoo because Yahoo is receiving the message "user over quota". I have 500M of disk space available, and was told in an earlier post that regardless of the "quota" setting for each mailbox, I should still receive e-mail.

What's going on here? Do I need to change the quota?

Yes. You will receive email regardless of your Mail Box quota. Is this a specific problem with Yahoo or are you not able to receive email from other domains?

Yash said:
Yes. You will receive email regardless of your Mail Box quota. Is this a specific problem with Yahoo or are you not able to receive email from other domains?

I am not on any other regular e-mail list-type things other than Yahoo. I find it unlikely that Yahoo is the problem as they can't make up an error like user over quota. This message must be coming from the jodohost mail server.

Try deleting and recreating your email account. Just to be on the safe side, also increase your mailbox quota to 10MB.

Yash said:
Try deleting and recreating your email account. Just to be on the safe side, also increase your mailbox quota to 10MB.

I did some testing by sending a 3.5M file to myself, from one of my other accounts hosted elsewhere and this is what I received back..

(quote)
Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.powe*****ost.net.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
user is over quota

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Return-Path: <[email protected]>
Received: (qmail 5635 invoked from network); 20 Aug 2003 01:54:46 -0000
Received: from unknown (HELO rjsNetworks.com) (63.209.100.5)
(etc etc etc)
(unquote)

It's clear to me that the problem is not with Yahoo, or this other host, but actually with jodohost.

That is strange. We have customers exchanging emails of over 10MB.

We just made a small modification on our server. Try sending the email again and tell me what you receive

Yash said:

I did some more testing, sending from one account at jodohost to another account at jodohost and received the same problem with the user over quota message. The problem is definately with the receiving jodohost mail server.

Yash said:
That is strange. We have customers exchanging emails of over 10MB.

We just made a small modification on our server. Try sending the email again and tell me what you receive

Still no good. Still received the user over quota message.

You'll have to give me some time on this issue because we will have to investigate. Is this occuring for you only with Yahoo.com or with other domains as well?

Yash said:
Also, is this happening for you only on big emails or can you get small 5 to 10 line emails through?

As I said earlier in the thread, this is not a Yahoo problem. The user over quota message is received if a message is sent from any of my other domains, hosted here at jodohost, or elsewhere.

As for the size of the file being sent, last night's testing was only with a 3M file, but the problems being experiebnced over the last few weeks do in fact include the bouncing of very small e-mail messages too.

OK. I corrected your problem. It was a simple case where the mail box wasn't properly created on our mail server. You'd have to change your mail box password because currently it is set to something else. Do that from the CP.

Yash said:
OK. I corrected your problem. It was a simple case where the mail box wasn't properly created on our mail server. You'd have to change your mail box password because currently it is set to something else. Do that from the CP.

Will any new mailbox I create have this problem, of has the problem been permamently fixed?

Do I need to do something to fix my other mailboxes I have created in my other domains?

No, this looks like just a freak incident where the Control Panel server couldn't properly communicate with the mail server. If you are having this problem on already existing mail boxes, just recreate them.

Yash said:
No, this looks like just a freak incident where the Control Panel server couldn't properly communicate with the mail server. If you are having this problem on already existing mail boxes, just recreate them.

Thanks for the additional info. I'll will further test tonight once I get back home and let you know if I continue to have problems.

Yash said:

I am having the same problem. I have an email address with a 5MB quota and when I send an email that puts the mailbox over the 5MB it get rejected with the "User over quota" error message.

I deleted the account and recreated it and am still getting the same error.

I don't think this is a freak error as you are suggesting..it seems to be working as instructed.

If we are on Summary disk usage, quotas should not affect our accounts but it appears that quotas are still being utilized. I understand that jodohost has no control over development of the control panel but it appears that it has a bug or.....what does MS call it....a feature :)

In the case of Robert, it was because the mail box wasn't created properly on the mail server. Such incidents are rare. We had a customer who's database wasn't properly created and that too is rare.

In your case, it may be different. If you are facing this problem, then I recommend you increase your mail box quota to 10MB. As I said before, the system is based on usage not allocation so even if you set the mail box quota to 100MB it won't make a difference.

I'll communicate this issue over to PSOFT and see what they say. The manual clearly states that email is not rejected if your mail box is full.

Well I am not so sure it is rare because I also had problems with IIS automation that you had to go in and manually fix when my account was first created. Also, these are the problems that we find. What about the ones we don't know about yet?

If I didn't go check this I wouldn't have known it was a problem until it affected me. I realize Psoft is telling you one thing but that doesn't make it less frustrating for your customers. This is why I specifically asked if things get tested. You can't rely on a developer or a software company to find every bug. It is obvious you didn't go in an test this software thoroughly or you wouldn't have told us that quota doesn't matter because it does.

After spending time trying to test this myself....I now have to go and make changes to the quotas which is more wasted time on something I wasn't planning to have to do.

Let's hope there aren't any other hidden problems that pop up.

Re: Re: user over quota ???

yorri said:
Well I am not so sure it is rare because I also had problems with IIS automation that you had to go in and manually fix when my account was first created.

This happens only in .01% of the cases. We have other customers on the forum and you can go ahead and ask them if they have faced any similar problems so far. If I recall, you had a problem with Webalizer because HSphere was not able to create it properly. You reported the matter and we had it fixed. No system is perfect. Problems can occur on even the best written software. HSphere is a really big software, we can't test every single feature.

As far as the quota goes, we looked into it. The system doesn't reject email if you are over the quota. Infact our email address, [email protected] frequently goes over the quota. Mail box quota is irrelevant in the integrated space (or Summary Disk Usage) system we use. It looks like that this issue is only with very large emails that exceed the quota. Just increase your quota and that should do the trick.

Re: Re: Re: user over quota ???

I will change the quota as suggested but you are wrong when you say this only affects large emails.

I just tried to sent myself an email that was 44K and it was rejected. 44K is not a large email.

I don't know how your email addresses are allowed to go over the quota because I have deleted this account and recreated it and it still will not allow me to go over quota...so I suggest this is not a "rare" issue but rather a "rare" issue that is not found!

Since allocation does not matter I will let this drop but it frustrates me when a company says one thing and then we find out something else.

It is possible this isn't affecting many customers because they don't let their accounts get to the quota..I am one of them because I generally download my email throughout the day.

I just hope the rest of your customers now know that quota does make a difference and they can make the necessary changes before they run into problems. I would have been really ticked off if I went away on vacation thinking quota didn't matter...having emails rejected.

I hope Psoft can resolve this issue but in the meantime...as I said I will increase my quota and make sure I don't let my accounts get to the quota point.

Back