DSPAM simply not cutting it

ashoon

Guppy
i have been hosting with Jodohost for at least a couple years, and have never had any serious problems with customer service or the product. Recently I took on a client that is a larger-than-average spam recipient, so I actually had to activate the DSPAM and anti-virus (which I've never bothered with before).

Since then, that client has had persistent issues with both the anti-spam and anti-virus. Even with his own domain whitelisted, dspam still marks internal email as spam (sent from another smtp server). The anti-virus has blocked filetypes (e.g. jpeg) that were marked as allowed on his control panel. Even with spam filtering at it's lowest setting, he is still experiencing false positives and false negatives at about an even rate. I have tried submitting email to jodo for training, but honestly I can't keep that up every 72 hours. At this point my client is asking to deactivate DSPAM altogether since it is so dysfunctional.

Does anyone know if there are plans to improve this system besides just submitting training spam? Is there some kind of specialized email-only hosting that would offer better functionality for email only. I really like jodohost otherwise, but this spam filtering has pretty much failed in this case.

We are continually looking to improve the anti-spam system. However, no anti-spam solution provides 100% accuracy, and yes indeed you might be getting more false positives or false negatives depending on the type of mail your large client may be receiving.

If you have a large client facing this issue, I'd recommend they signup for a postini.com anti-spam account. There are many resellers that offer postini for $2/mo per mail box (or less), and they definately have the best anti-spam filtering I've ever seen as they have invested millions into their system.

Postini or any mail filtering solution can easily be slapped on top of our mail service.

Another option is to put the domain's mail on Google apps which has a free and a pay yearly per account level.. We have a bunch of our "higher-than-normal" spammed domains on there, and it works great with all hosting taken care of here..

Thanks for the reponses; looks like Google bought Postini, so I guess you're both pointing me that direction. Very economical too. The entry-level filtering service is $3/user/year.

Thanks again!

Back