Hsphere 2.5 When?

It seems to me that perhaps Psoft should be concentrating more on providing a sleamless upgrade rather than just continuing to spit out all the verious builds with added features. Whats the use of all the upgrads if they can't be easily intragated into a large cluster. I'm sure Jodo is paying a lot for the licence to use Hsphere, more that a provider with a small cluster.

It all just gets frustrating

I won't get into too many statements about psoft, I leave it to their private boards, but we are working to make all this come out for the best, and between 2.4.3 and 2.5, and to 3.0 there are esp on the widnows side, a radical change in the way the authentication engine works. It is hard to sit here any explain, but with the upgrade there is a lot open for error, that is what we have to work to prevent as much as possible.

Per PSoft July 1st, 2007 will be the official End of Life for our current version of the control panel. How far past this is JH going to go?

We were never planning on 2.5, we are working on 3.0. Its on the cards. we will 100% upgrade. I can't say exactly when, but are planning it.. and we are testing and infact we plan to do rigorous testing in the near future.

Atm, clients are looking at 10 to 20 hrs of downtime per server, plus tons of issues with permissions (the permission system has been re-done). We want to make this as painless as we can

Thank you for the reply.
I would suggest that the upgrade be performed during a weekend so as to reduce the disruption of ecommerce. Preferably, in the late PM / early AM hours. JH used to be alot more up to date with installing patches and of course there are the opportunities for people to exploit security weaknesses in older versions of any software.

trueblue,

there are far LARGER holes in the most current hsphere, major major ones have just been addressed, but the older versions were not vulnerable due to them being more highly audited.
however what you are not understanding, this 2.5 or 3.0 upgrade is not a "patch" it is a full fledged upgrade that is not exactly well planned out(from psoft upgrade standpoint)

bahhh... I cant believe I read about this subject again... all until here.
Guys... come on... would you openly discuss in your own forums... security or stability vulnerabilities???
It would be a contradiction of terms... To do security... and talk about it in the open.

Jodo has been undefeated in this front, as far as it goes system wide.
This record speaks for itself... and with all respect to the knowledge of each one here... I dont think anybody with sufficient know-how to debate eye-to-eye on this subject... would be here in a shared environment.

I have been an Hsphere Reseller over 6 years now... and have had my share of bad surprises with Hsphere upgrades...
And since Jodo... NO STRESS in that front has come upon my customers.

So, thank you Jodo for your cautious approach of little improvements, to avoid big problems. :pray2:

trueblue,

there are far LARGER holes in the most current hsphere, major major ones have just been addressed, but the older versions were not vulnerable due to them being more highly audited.
however what you are not understanding, this 2.5 or 3.0 upgrade is not a "patch" it is a full fledged upgrade that is not exactly well planned out(from psoft upgrade standpoint)

He's right. I have hosting accounts with two HSphere resellers. The other one moved to 2.5 recently and it took them a month to fully recover. The really amazing thing is, it was the 'nix side that had the most problems! And yes, the techs that did the upgrade spent time planning and still got beat up for not planning enough.

Back