Reseller Account

Yash said:
Sure. Will do that.
Have a look at http://www.jodohost.com/reseller/html/

I have that document printed out but I am having a hell of a tiem understanding the dns stuff.

Here is the question:

Lets say I have a site called "host.com" I have a dns zone with a prefix of u (like the example) Here is what I have with the edit button.

Created DNS records
Name TTL Data Controls
*.u31.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???
*.u24.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???
*.u27.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???
*.u29.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???

then it tells me to go to my registar and change stuff. I don't know what to do. I also want my host.com to go to my system account (I would guess). I don't know the dns to send it to.

shamrox said:
Can you add a reseller topic. I have some questions about the setup.

Yash, I would suggest setting up an entirely new section on the message board for reseller questions and support.

Shamrox, I think what they want you to do is go to your registrar and set it so that the authoritative name server for your domain is here at JodoHost. Once this is done you're using JodoHost's name server for all lookups on your domain, so all DNS management is done here.

I bet those u31 type domain entries are used for instant alias assignments to your accounts and for people setting up hosting without assigning any domain. You get this type of URL syntax under those conditions.

I'm just thinking out loud here. Yash will have to tell you what to do for sure. Hope this info helps in some small way.

shamrox said:
I have that document printed out but I am having a hell of a tiem understanding the dns stuff.

Here is the question:

Lets say I have a site called "host.com" I have a dns zone with a prefix of u (like the example) Here is what I have with the edit button.

Created DNS records
Name TTL Data Controls
*.u31.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???
*.u24.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???
*.u27.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???
*.u29.host.com 86400 66.36.???.???

then it tells me to go to my registar and change stuff. I don't know what to do. I also want my host.com to go to my system account (I would guess). I don't know the dns to send it to.

Ok, I believe you started off by creating a DNS zone named host.com, right? Now, you need to register host.com with a registrar that allows you to create name servers. We are one such registrar (http://domain.jodohost.com)

Once you do that, in EManager, click on Server aliases and click submit on your name servers and general server aliases. Once you do that, you'll get unique IPs for your name servers. Go to your registrar and create those name servers with those IPs.

After that, point host.com to your newly created name servers and your dns zone (as well as control panel, dns servers, instant aliases, etc) will start working

Ok Yash,

I am looking at "Reseller's DNS server aliases" and this is what I will get:

ns.host.com ns.m****here.biz (DNS Server) 66.235.xxx.xx
ns2.host.com ns2.m****here.biz (DNS Server) 66.36.xxx.xx

If you go to my register I have my current dns settings are:

ns.m****here.biz
ns2.m****here.biz

should I put the ip address?
once netsol updates if you go to host.com will it go to my service account?

Your registrar should allow you to create your own name servers. Go through their documentation. Create ns.host.com and ns2.host.com with them pointing to the IPs assigned.

Once you do that, change host.com's name servers to ns.host.com and ns2.host.com

I have done that but here is my problem. I went to my register and put ns.host.com and ns2.host.com and I understand that might take a day or so to update. My other question is I want to have a corporate site for host.com (you know for hosting my hosting company site) I created the service account and I can log in to that account no problem but what do i need to do so that when users go to www.host.com they go the service account I just created.

Or when you get a new account you get an ip address or even a 345.jodohost.com type address.

If I understand your question properly, you want host.com to point to the website you created in your service account, right?

Well your site will automatically start showing if you created the name servers correctly and pointed host.com to them. If you are talking about an instant domain alias for host.com, they wont work till host.com starts resolving to the servers

yash,

I have added dns settings (zone file) to my host.com. When I ping ns.host.com I get the correct ip address. The question I was just askin was when I ping www.host.com I get unknown host name.

That is normal. You'll have to wait for another 48 hours before host.com begins pointing. Once that happens, your control panel and server aliases will start working

Just make sure you have set host.com to ns.host.com and ns2.host.com

then I guess i have another question.

I added the other alias' (i.e web.host.com...) then I added that prefix to my registar and it resolves fine. I go to web.host.com and get a page that has:

Web Utilities
WebShell3

DB Utilities
phpMyAdmin - Admin interface for MySQL
phpPgAdmin Admin interface for PostgreSQL

EMail Utilities
IMP - mail client
Change your POP3 password

on the page. Is that the page that my host.com is pointing to? I have added index.html to my root of my system account. I don't know how I can get to it.

what I am not understanding is that I had ns.host.com and ns2.host.com on my registrar info. How is my registrar going to know that when a user enters www.host.com to go to the service account.
I am not a network admin but I don't understand that.

You need to also add host.com to the control panel of your service account. Upload your files to the domain folder like in a standard account then

Ignore what shows at web.host.com, etc. They are just server aliases. Your customers will see these server aliases when the are assigned a server for their accounts.

Your registrar doesn't know anything. Once your domain points to the DNS servers, the dns servers tell it where to route

Yash,

I am having some real big problems with my dns and name stuff.

I have done everything that I can. Here is a list:

1) My register(which is enom) I have my DNS Settings as ns and ns2 both with record type of A and both have an ip address. I got the ip address from my E.Manager "Built-in DNS records for reseller`s server aliases host.com" ns and ns2 of type A with ip addresses.

2) I have a whole bunch of "Built-in DNS records for reseller`s server aliases host.com" (web.host.com, win1.host.com, mssql1.host.com........)

The kicker is that earlier today I could access the account but now I can't. Do you have any idea what is going on? Is this set up correctly?

I did a WhoIs on your host name and you have set it to point to the wrong name servers. Please point host.com to ns.host.com and ns2.host.com

I know what it says....when I try to change the name server rather then dns zone it gives me this error:

*****Error modifying name servers: Nameserver ns2.host.com cannot be registered*****

I don't know what is going on.....if you ping ns.host.com you will see that it is pointing to the right ip address

Ok, that is because you have created A records with them. You have to create a child name servers. Ask your registrar. Since these are A records, they will not be recognised as name servers when you or your customers try entering them

If your current registrar doesn't give you any such option, I suggest you register a separate service domain with us (http://domain.jodohost.com). You can create name servers with us

If you decide to do that, you'll have to create a new DNS zone (in your CP) and delete the older one. Then recreate your server aliases and name servers

Back