Server Down?

Discussion in 'H-Sphere Shared Hosting' started by TekniDude, Nov 15, 2003.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Perch

What is the timing of the cluster?

So, you're saying that if I put my site back up with the Access database, disable most of it until I can convert to SQL so as not to cause the problem again, it will be re-activated? If I then convert to SQL, I will be given notice (before being pulled) if the site, in the new configuration, starts to consume too many resources? The notice would have to be about a week to allow sufficient time to switch to a new host...is that workable?
  2. Yash

Yash Bass

We have disabled only one SQL Server database till date. The customer's site was literally hammering the server with SQL queries every other second. I have no idea what that customer was doing but it was definately abnormal.

I don't know how your site will behave on MS SQL. But if your backend was causing the high usage, MS SQL should definately solve that. I've always recommended MS SQL.
  3. Yash

Yash Bass

Currently, Win5 is in such an unstable state that if it starts generating such high usage, we'll have to pull it down.

You can do that. But you really should disable anything with the database till you can convert to MS SQL. The new cluster should be up by Friday (or Monday latest) and I'll ensure your's is the first site we transfer off.
  4. eko

eko Perch

I would advise not to use the MS Access version. It's nothing to do with the size of the database but with the number of concurrent users. MS SQL is probably less efficient in database size but much more efficient and effective in dealing with multiple users, and thus doesn't hog the processor as much. I bet much of your problems will not occur when using MS SQL even with a growth of your userbase.

So don't gamble and transfer MS Access to MS SQL or disable database elements altogether
  5. MadDog

MadDog Guppy

I never said that! MISS QUOTE! They keep MSSQL on a different computer on the same network.
  6. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Perch

Ok, I'm going to have to think about this for awhile and make a decision. It's difficult to change over to SQL so quickly because the learning curve for me is high, having never dealt with it before. So, it will take some time.

In the meantime, If I do bring the access site back up, I will disable the entire forum and also let you know. I'm going to have to wait a few days before doing anything though. Once the new cluster is up, would that improve things for the site running on Access until I can convert? (since we will also be moving off of Win5)?
  7. eko

eko Perch

As mentioned earlier, I wouldn't risk to run the MS Access version of the site. MS SQL is not too difficult, just go for advise on the asp invision support portal. You will notice that actually most developments were first made for the SQL version before the access version and that includes most of the mods as well. Jodhost has a good online function that will help you backup the database but also access its tables, which look very similar to access.
  8. dx4

dx4 Guppy

If my site is generating so much CPU usage by getting a date, and then one query on ONLY the main page (with every .net object disposed) then I must switch to dedicated hosting with 300mb tops of bandwith and 17mb of space usage....
  9. Well, it's not hard to find out what sites you host on these servers. I found 169 (not many by any means) on my shared IP via whois. I'm not sure how many of those are dynamic.

Regardless, the future of web design is dynamic and the future is now. There are scores of reasons to use dynamic pages. Bandwidth, diskspace, updating, editing, etc. I guess the only downside is CPU.

Personally, I would hope to have 50,000 visitors to any one of my sites everyday. Who wouldn't? The current site I'm devloping on JodoHost contains almost all dynamic content.

Maybe the future of Hosting is to charge by hybrid of bandwidth and CPU. If nothing else, providers need to commuicate that concern to customers.

I appreciate JH's prices and CF. So if I only can use JH for development, that's fine with me. I'm just glad I found out about these issues now, before, for instance, starting an ad compaign worth thousands.

Finally, Yash. I think you should sticky a thread somewhere that is updated DAILY concerning the new clusters, the domain prohibition, etc. "Next Week" only works for 7 days.
  10. Yash

Yash Bass

We have customers running full fledged commercial and community websites with us. They are 100% asp or asp.net. It really takes alot to use that much of CPU
  11. Yash

Yash Bass

dx4,
    there was a mistake. Our administrator had not brought down your website. He had assumed you were some other website while answering the ticket. Sorry for the confusion. Your site went down because Win5 had crashed again
  12. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Perch

Win5 has crashed again since my site was disabled (mid-day Saturday), or was this before?
  13. zxytes

zxytes Guppy

I want to say what jodohost has disable my domain is not normal way.
  14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Perch

Thanks for the help Eco - I have indeed started scanning ASPInvision for migration-specific items (Access to SQL) and have found a few things. From what I have read, the Upsize Wizard within access seems to be the best way to go. I have tried this, unsuccessfully, once just as a test (after creating the SQL admin ID and database within HSPHERE). So, Im still looking at that further.

The timing of the new v3 of the portal is also complicating things because I would like to wait until that is released, then translate the tables within access to the new database structure (seems easier), THEN do the SQL upgrade...that would be ideal, but the release day will play a big part in how long I can wait.
  15. dx4

dx4 Guppy

The whole server crashed for 2 days? I'm sorry but I'm going to beleive that very likely.

Maybe I overreacted a little in my support ticket but, imagine if I had a business website, and it went down for 2 days because someone confused a support ticket with another website. Business or not Business, I like working on my website and would it to stay up.

16. Yash

Yash Bass

No, and your website was not down for two days. IIS started crashing again every now and then on Win5. We've been able to control thatand Win5 is 100% stable now.
  17. Yash

Yash Bass

Thanks for all the suggestions on how we can stop IIS from crashing.
    The most humorous suggestion we got was to disable ASP because its too old :)
  18. dx4

dx4 Guppy

Well, then the server must have hated me because every time I tried during those two days it IIS gave the error that my site in under construction.
    :)
  19. Yash

Yash Bass

I checked your website now as well as yesterday (when we discovered the mistake). Both times your site was active. Are you sure you are not seeing a cache?
  20. dx4

dx4 Guppy

Tried 3 different browsers, IE, Firebird, and Mozilla.