Email bouncing - host rejected

I've recently started getting email messages sent from my account bounced by friends and collegues who's ISPs/Email services use spamcop.

The precise error I'm recieving is below:

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at mail.m****here.biz.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
Connected to 204.142.85.242 but sender was rejected.
Remote host said: 550 This system is configured to reject mail from 66.36.248.11 (Host blacklisted in bl.spamcop.net)

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this? For the record, no, I personally am not spamming anyone, nor are my clients.

For the record, I have submitted a trouble ticket: #9778

We are working on this, we should be unlisted very soon. I'll give you an exact time frame in a few hours

We've been listed less than 24 hours ago. I'm waiting for a copy of the SpamCop report from Superb

As soon as we get that, we'll have to close down this spammer's account and we should be unlisted right after that

Thanks Yash!

I had this happen on another host in the past and never were they so quick to respond. So cheers to you guys for getting on top of things so fast! Hope you're able to resolve it quickly!

I would like to know what is going on here too. I have a customer in my reseller account that is getting rejected messages. I need to know what to tell them.

I just suspended the spammer
So we should be dropped from their list in 24 hours at the most

Shamrox, tell them that your mail server has been listed by SpamCop because someone spammed from the servers. We have located the spammer and shut down their account. Hopefully we should be unlisted in less than 24 hours

Just so everyone knows, spamcop has recently made a change in the way they operate, they now list ANY host that has spam reported, then tell the host, then unlist, it used to be tell host, gvie X hour, list, take care of or what have you, and if the host takes care of it the unlist. There are good points to both sides of it, but it could be argued the new method is more effective at stopping spam, but can also be argued that it has many more faults, as sometimes reports are putting blame somewhere it should not be.

Yash said:
I just suspended the spammer
So we should be dropped from their list in 24 hours at the most

Shamrox, tell them that your mail server has been listed by SpamCop because someone spammed from the servers. We have located the spammer and shut down their account. Hopefully we should be unlisted in less than 24 hours

Any word yet, are we unklisted yet?

We should be unlisted very soon. Superb.net doesn't have a copy of the SpamCop report yet. it's only with HopOne.net

They always forward us the report but they take at least a day or two. I'm just trying to get this done faster.

Any update on this? According to the link SubSpace posted, it appears we're still listed. Any indication how long delisting should take?

We got rid of the spammer, filled out the unlisting form and what I'm told is that SpamCop has a time based system. Now it will monitor the mail server for 24 hours and ensure no spam originates before unlisting us

I'd say another 24 to 36 hours and we'll be off the list. If we aren't by that time, we anyway plan to migrate the mail server to florida

This supports the issue we discussed in the other thread about why a spam program needs more user control.

Yash said:
I'd say another 24 to 36 hours and we'll be off the list. If we aren't by that time, we anyway plan to migrate the mail server to florida

So every time your servers get listed you will move them? This doesn't seem like a reasonable solution. This isn't the first time we have had to deal with spam problems.

I realize you have done all you can do to get unlisted but maybe it would be better to try and find a way to prevent being listed in the first place if this is possible. I think getting listed every few months is a little much.

I'm wondering what they can do to stop from being listed. I believe they have limits to the number of email messages that can be sent during some period of time by a single account. But all it takes is a couple people to decide your email is spam to report you to spamcop and then you're listed. This could happen even with opt-in list recipients.

This is a difficult issue and makes everybody's life difficult. I'm wondering what else can be done though.

brawney said:
I'm wondering what they can do to stop from being listed. I believe they have limits to the number of email messages that can be sent during some period of time by a single account. But all it takes is a couple people to decide your email is spam to report you to spamcop and then you're listed. This could happen even with opt-in list recipients.

This is a difficult issue and makes everybody's life difficult. I'm wondering what else can be done though.

Well I find it odd that free mail services like Hotmail or Yahoo never get listed....they must be doing something because there is so much spam being generated from these free services. Maybe I don't understand how this all works??

yorri said:
Well I find it odd that free mail services like Hotmail or Yahoo never get listed....they must be doing something because there is so much spam being generated from these free services. Maybe I don't understand how this all works??
I think that was my basic thought too - I don't understand how some of this works. I'd love for someone to answer your question - how do hotmail/yahoo/aol keep from getting listed?

Just because a piece of spam appears to be from a Yahoo.com or Hotmail.com, etc. address, doesn't mean it's actually being sent through their servers. SpamCop blacklists the server the message is sent from, not the email address or domain in the email address.

I can very easily set up an application to send tons of spam messages that appear to be from [email protected] and send them through jodohost's mail server. Spamcop would blacklist jodohost, not yahoo, because what counts is where (on which server) the spam originates, not what address it *appears* to be from.

I'm not sure what the solution is or what other hosting/email companies do, but obviously some of the larger ones seem have figured something out.... The obvious solution would seem to be limiting, or at least monitoring, the volume of emails sent out by users. But it wouldn't be fullproof, because, as brawny said, it only takes a handful of people to report someone, and very, very often even opt-in messages end up being reported as spam...

peskypup said:
as brawny said, it only takes a handful of people to report someone, and very, very often even opt-in messages end up being reported as spam...

I can certainly testify to that! http://support.jodohost.com/showthread.php?p=8150#post8150

I would encourage anyone who has a legitimate mailing list use the services of someone like www.bravenet.com - at least that way the Jodo servers are being left out of the question.

Maybe Jodo should put a limit on the number of recipients that one email can be sent to? That could be one of a number of measures to deter spammers from using Jodo's servers...

Back