Email bouncing - host rejected

yorri said:
So every time your servers get listed you will move them? This doesn't seem like a reasonable solution. This isn't the first time we have had to deal with spam problems.

And this isn't the last time its going to happen. We have some spam measures in place but there will always be a chance of spamming as long as we allow bulk emailing.

This is pretty normal, hosts do get blacklisted by spamcop. I know many hosts that get listed time and again. We can only respond to a listing when it happens, we have no means to intercept SPAM.

SpamCop will never blacklist Hotmail/Yahoo :) If they do that, they'll be blocking 60% of email traffic which would lead them to being dropped as a spam prevention measure by many hosting companies.

Yash said:
SpamCop will never blacklist Hotmail/Yahoo :) If they do that, they'll be blocking 60% of email traffic which would lead them to being dropped as a spam prevention measure by many hosting companies.

Given that a large percentage of the spam I get comes from/through Hotmail and Yahoo, I can't help but wonder about the value and legitimacy of SpamCop.

riley

Yash said:
And this isn't the last time its going to happen. We have some spam measures in place but there will always be a chance of spamming as long as we allow bulk emailing.
QUOTE]

I had one host that didn't allow sending e-mail from an address that wasn't actually an account on the mail server. So I can't use my [email protected] account to send e-mail with a "From" address of [email protected]. I haven't tested this at JH but maybe I should. This would be a big hole. I trust that JH does not allow this.

If you are talking about relaying, relaying is not allowed
And the problem is now from relaying, the problem is about customers being uneducated about Spam. They pay their price by having their accounts suspended.

Actually, I think the biggest problem nowadays is with the average web surfer being uneducated about spam, and reporting even messages they've agreed to accept as spam. I've run into this again and again. And I can't tell you how many of the newsletters/mailing lists I've signed up for with a Yahoo message get dumped in the spam folder there. Even Jodohost support responses were going there for awhile. ;)

While I'm here... any idea when we'll be taken off the blacklist? The original timeframe seemed to indicate it would be almost immediately after the offending users account was suspended, but we're going on 48 hours since that's happened now....

Logan said:
I had one host that didn't allow sending e-mail from an address that wasn't actually an account on the mail server. So I can't use my [email protected] account to send e-mail with a "From" address of [email protected]. I haven't tested this at JH but maybe I should. This would be a big hole. I trust that JH does not allow this.
Logan, go ahead and test this here at JH. I just tested it and it allowed me to send the message.

i don't understand what you are referring to
We are off the blacklist. You should be able to email without any issues

Yash said:
i don't understand what you are referring to
We are off the blacklist. You should be able to email without any issues
Refering to post 23 and 24 in this thread. Yes, my email is working fine. I was just saying that you do allow relaying although you said you didn't.

I'll be checking this issue up

qmail has some major configuration issues. if you remember we were getting alot of Relaying by this MTA error messages. Our unix administrator made a temporary fix. The real solution is reinstalling qmail and recreating the mail boxes which we plan to do in our migration (there will be no email loss, don't woryr)

That is why qmail won't respond to smtp auth either. PSOFT has recommended a reinstall as well

brawney said:
Refering to post 23 and 24 in this thread. Yes, my email is working fine. I was just saying that you do allow relaying although you said you didn't.

Sending mail with a From address not hosted at JodoHost hass nothing to do with open relays. This is not something that would cause JodoHost to be listed in any RBLs.

I checked with our administrator, relaying is denied

As SubSpace pointed out, there are two issues here. one is faking email headers. That has nothing to do with relaying and there is nothing you can do to prevent

The second issue is sending email through a mail server through a mail box that doesn't exist on it or for which authentication is not provided.

The difference between faking headers and relaying may be thin on the outside but they are totally different. When you fake headers, you are still authenticating with your email address but the actual email messages is simply showing a different address. In relaying, you are sending the email through the fake email address.

SubSpace said:
Sending mail with a From address not hosted at JodoHost hass nothing to do with open relays. This is not something that would cause JodoHost to be listed in any RBLs.
I don't know what the impact is, but Logan was talking about simply sending an email using the JH SMTP server with a different "from" address. Yash initially said that is not possible, but it is. It may have nothing to do with the black list but that wasn't my point. My point was that you can do what Logan is describing although Yash initially said you can't.

Yash explained it better in his last post. We are able to create a fake header, but not relay through someone else's email account.

What is the impact of not having a reverse name lookup for your MX record?

ERROR: The IP of one or more of your mail server(s) have no reverse DNS (PTR) entries (if you see "Timeout" below, it may mean that your DNS servers did not respond fast enough). RFC1912 2.1 says you should have a reverse DNS for all your mail servers. It is strongly urged that you have them, as many mailservers will not accept mail from mailservers with no reverse DNS entry. You can double-check using the 'Reverse DNS Lookup' tool at the DNSstuff site. The problem MX records are:
11.248.36.66.in-addr.arpa [No reverse DNS entry (rcode: 3 ancount: 0)]

brawney said:
I don't know what the impact is, but Logan was talking about simply sending an email using the JH SMTP server with a different "from" address. Yash initially said that is not possible, but it is. It may have nothing to do with the black list but that wasn't my point. My point was that you can do what Logan is describing although Yash initially said you can't.

Yash explained it better in his last post. We are able to create a fake header, but not relay through someone else's email account.

What is the impact of not having a reverse name lookup for your MX record?

This...
not having a reverse name lookup for your MX record
is definitely a "SPAM" red-flag...

Back