Custom Error Pages

Logan

Perch
I want to define a custom error page for 404 errors. I have created a page called error404.asp and put it in the root directory of my web site. I have gone into H-Sphere and added an error page with the following settings:

Error Document Code: 404
Relative Path to Custom Error page: error 404.asp

Yet when I put a non-existent URL in my browser, I get the standard 404 error message, not my custom error page.

Help!

MarkeyHost said:
It should be somthing like this: thedomain.com/errors/error404.html

Markey

It doesn't seem too matter what I put in the field, it doesn't seem to work. I have tried "mydoman.com/404.asp" and "mydomain/errors/404.asp" (note that I have changed the filename to 404.asp and created an "errors" directory and tried the page in there). Nothing seems to enable my custom 404 page.

Yash, help please.

PS: I am using Windows.

We have sites currently on two clusters. A cluster is a group of servers with its own dns, mail, database and web servers. Our old cluster was based on Win2000

We recently introduced a new cluster based on Win2003. Customers who signed up with us prior to Nov 2003 are on the old Win2000 cluster and they must use the control panel link for the old cluster (which you have quoted).

malemanes said:
It doesn't seem too matter what I put in the field, it doesn't seem to work. I have tried "mydoman.com/404.asp" and "mydomain/errors/404.asp" (note that I have changed the filename to 404.asp and created an "errors" directory and tried the page in there). Nothing seems to enable my custom 404 page.

Yash, help please.

PS: I am using Windows.

Well, I'm having the same problem and I'm wondering how you finally resolved this. Do you enter mydomain/errors/404.asp, or errors/404.asp, or what?

riley

MarkeyHost said:
on windows servers it should be: domain.com/errors/404.htm on UNIX it should be either a message or a url such as http://www.yoursite.com/errors/404.htm

Markey

Much like malemanes, it seems to make no difference what I put for a relative path; it simply does not work.

The error page is in a folder off of my domain (mydomain/error/err404.htm). I've tried the following:

error/err404.htm
/error/err404.htm
mydomain.com/error/err404.htm
/mydomain.com/error/err404.htm
http://mydomain.com/error/err404.htm

I would have thought the 1st in the list would do the trick, but none of these worked.

Any help would be appreciated...

riley

It could be something with the way it is setup here... I tried it on two other Hsphere systems and they both work by domain.com/folder/doc.htm but it was also on Windows 2000 machines I am not sure about Windows 2003.

Markey

There is a bug with hSphere. Doesn't setup custom errors correctly on Win2003. This is fixed in version 2.4. Till then, open a ticket and we'll have to do it manually

Yash said:
There is a bug with hSphere. Doesn't setup custom errors correctly on Win2003. This is fixed in version 2.4. Till then, open a ticket and we'll have to do it manually

Thanks Yash. I submitted a ticket. I seem to remember reading in one of your earlier posts that today is a holiday in India. So I guess I should expect this to get done sometime tomorrow.

riley

riley said:
Thanks Yash. I submitted a ticket. I seem to remember reading in one of your earlier posts that today is a holiday in India. So I guess I should expect this to get done sometime tomorrow.

riley

No, it was a government holiday yesterday. Your request will be done shortly.

Yash said:

Your tech people took care of the issue very fast, but they didn't tell me that the server is not configured to allow dynamic pages (asp/aspx/etc.) for custom errors. Unfortunately, the page I specified was an aspx page. I'm not sure why they didn't tell me that when I requested it.

After they told me this early today, I created a static (html) file to handle it and emailed them, asking them to set redirection for 404 errors to error/err404.htm. I'm still waiting, but when they get this done, I'm confident it will work fine.

The important thing to note for the forum is that the way the server is currently configured, custom errors can only be handled by static pages.

riley

I've tried everything as well and nothing seems to work....

Just ANOTHER thing that hasn't worked since switching to the new servers.

yorri said:

Open a ticket and we'll do this manually yorri
riley, your pages will be set shortly. Our windows administrators was actually trying to get dynamic pages to work. I'll have him set the static pages anyway immediately however

yorri said:

Actually, the tech people set up my redirect last night and it did work, to some degree. By that, I mean the page actually did show up when I entered the url for a non-existant page. The problem is that I had them set up an aspx page, so the only thing that showed up was the static content from the page. I'm not sure why they didn't mention the static/dynamic issue when I requested set up of an aspx page.

Via email, I told them just to restore the default IIS page. Then I figured out a static page solution I could live with. So, I uploaded it and sent another email (as part of the ticket email thead) this afternoon.

It's been about 8 hours and haven't heard anything.
Yash, should I open a new ticket?

riley

Yash said:
Open a ticket and we'll do this manually yorri
riley, your pages will be set shortly. Our windows administrators was actually trying to get dynamic pages to work. I'll have him set the static pages anyway immediately however

I just added it to the domain down ticket.

I have to say Yash...this latest upgrade has been the worst experience I have ever had to deal with...everytime I turn around there is another thing that doesn't work.

I am sure you are doing your best and these are not deliberately set but this is why my concern over proper testing when I brought up the issue months ago. Over the past 3 years of dealing with webhosts...I would have to say 99% of all the problems were due to upgrading software or hardware because everything seemed to work fine in between. My experience at Jodohost seems to be the same where everything is fine until something is upgraded.

It's great that things get fixed quickly but I am now wishing I was on the old server. Everything was working fine there. Since then I have had 6 separate things that haven't worked and there have been even more problems that other people have had that didn't relate to me...This seems a little excessive.

Just glad you have such good customer service..otherwise I would be outta here.

yorri said:
I just added it to the domain down ticket.

I have to say Yash...this latest upgrade has been the worst experience I have ever had to deal with...everytime I turn around there is another thing that doesn't work.

I am sure you are doing your best and these are not deliberately set but this is why my concern over proper testing when I brought up the issue months ago. Over the past 3 years of dealing with webhosts...I would have to say 99% of all the problems were due to upgrading software or hardware because everything seemed to work fine in between. My experience at Jodohost seems to be the same where everything is fine until something is upgraded.

It's great that things get fixed quickly but I am now wishing I was on the old server. Everything was working fine there. Since then I have had 6 separate things that haven't worked and there have been even more problems that other people have had that didn't relate to me...This seems a little excessive.

Just glad you have such good customer service..otherwise I would be outta here.

The only 2 issues on the windows2003 servers are custom error pages and this mysterious DNS problem. Custom error pages is due to a bug in HSphere, we have to do this manully. DNS issue is being investigated. We didn't upgrade anything on the DNS server. We are running Bind 8 on RedHatLinux 7.3. The same configuration on the old cluster

Windows 2003 will provide better stability in the long term. We have been running all our windows 2003 web servers for 2 months without any dowtime. Only downtime was yesterday with win1.

Back