Custom Error Pages

Yash said:
Our windows administrators was actually trying to get dynamic pages to work. I'll have him set the static pages anyway immediately however

That would be very nice, because I was planning on doing some notification of broken links there for one of my pages.

Edit: I'm aware of the possibility of some javascript together with redirects, but it's not exactly elegant :)

riley said:
Actually, the tech people set up my redirect last night and it did work, to some degree. By that, I mean the page actually did show up when I entered the url for a non-existant page.

Hmm, I've tried using a static page instead of the ASP page, but that wouldn't work either. It seems broken as Yash suggests, so it's kind of odd that it was working for you actually.

SubSpace said:
I'm aware of the possibility of some javascript together with redirects, but it's not exactly elegant :)

That's what I'm doing, and, no, it isn't real elegant. But it does get the job done.

I've learned a lot trying to get this working, and, when I have some time, I'll post some interesting (and hopefully helpful) information in a new thread (and not in Shared Support).

riley

SubSpace said:
Hmm, I've tried using a static page instead of the ASP page, but that wouldn't work either. It seems broken as Yash suggests, so it's kind of odd that it was working for you actually.

From what Yash stated in an earlier post, control panel does not propery update the server with the relative path to the error handling page. So you have to have tech support guys set it up. When I switched from a dynamic to a static page, I had to open another ticket to have that done.

riley

riley said:
When IIS redirects from a 404 error, it (normally) places the error number and the offending url in the querystring for the custom error handler.

I did some research and found that the querystring is only present if the page that could not be found is a .asp page. The whole thing is pretty complicated, but the server is behaving as it should.

Please accept my apoligies for the invalid complaint. To make up for it, I have put together some notes from my research into custom error pages and will post them in "Microsoft Development". Maybe they will help someone else.

Once again, thank you and your tech people for the excellent level of support you provide.

riley

Back