Location of servers?

brawney

Perch
win1 trace routes to hopone.net. They are in the DC/VA area so I can only assume that they are the same as Superb.net.

However, win5 trace routes to Florida and ends up here http://acceleratebiz.com/

Can someone explain? Are we migrating locations again? First Atlanta, then PA, then VA, now FL.

Yes, we are colocating some new servers with them... but we are not relocating the servers with superb.net. All new signups are still going to our servers at superb.net

For more flexibility and to offer more options to our customers,we've decided that we are better off putting servers in multiple datacenters

Acceleratebiz has 3 carriers - Level3, global crossing and UUNET.
We've setup win5 there and we'll be setting up a new P4 2.6HT with them for ms sql so that the database server is on the same network as well

I'm glad to hear there will be MS SQL server on the same location.
To be honest I don't understand the part about more flexibility having 2 datacenters, and MS SQL response times are usually fine from the other datacenter, but I imagine things will be more reliable with both servers being in the same center. One server being up doesn't do me much good if the other is unreachable :)

A trace route from London shows that the acceleratebiz.com can be accessed much quicker than the other servers. Why don't you ensure that e.g. UK customers are shifted to the acceleratebiz.com servers?

I don't want to admit this, but it does seem their are some issues with superb.net for international clients..

As far as flexibility goes.. here is an example. The simple process of acquiring IPs is much harder with superb. Many times we have ran out of IPs and they are taking their own sweet time to allocate them

At Florida, we got a 100 IP allocation in 2 minutes. We have the flexibility of choosing how our equipment is to be setup, how we'd like the firewall to be setup on the router, etc. superb wasn't cooperating, they were putting our servers in different internal networks due to their "structure". They do try doing their best to accomodate our needs but they are restricted by the way things are setup for them..

We'll be putting servers both with superb and at Florida. It depends on the cirumstances. But we'll ensure the database server is on the same network.

We have just setup a Pentium 4 2.6GHZ (Hyper-threaded) server with dual hard disks (raid1) at florida right now and will be setting up 2 more servers with this configuration as well as another Dual P4 HT, 2x73GB SCSI RAID1 hotswap (win5 is a server with this config)

The new Windows 2000 servers are going to be with accelerate. And since we plan to downgrade everyone to Win2000, all Windows customers will eventually be with them. MSSQL1 is already setup at florida and we are going to perform a migration (will be announced). Win5's network lag issue will disappear but it will reappear for Win1, Win2 and Win4. Therefore we'll begin shifting customers affected by lag to Win5 and Win6 (at florida).

A Win2000 downgrade schedule will be announced. We are going to be shifting 30 to 40 accounts to Win2000 each night. We'll be checking each website ourselves to ensure it has happened correctly. This way, we hope to ensure its 100% transparent and downtime free.

Yash,

What will the SQLServer in Florida be called? Reading your last post will it still be MSSQL1.JODOSHARED.COM?

Obviously if it is not, each database moved will have to be case managed to ensure that the ConnectionStrings on all of those websites can be updated at the same time as the migration.

Can you tell us more about the SQL Server implementation - like exact timing, and a little about the process?

Thanks,

Huthy

the original mssql1 will be taken offline. During this time, all databases will be shifted to the new mssql1 and this new mssql1 will be reconnected with HSphere. You won't have to make any changes unless you are using the IP address to connect

Cool, thank you.

When do you think this will occur - still in the next 48 hours.. I was told 1-3 days 24 hours ago.

Thanks again.

Huthy

As I use MS SQL but are currently on Win1 I would like to be moved to Win5 or Win6 as soon as the sql server is moved to avoid "user-delays".

Eric, there will be a detailed announcement sent via email. We'll have a procedure for those customers who experience lag on Win1, Win2 and Win4 to ask for a move immediately

we will get notified BEFORE you take down the SQL Server and move our databases right?

how long time will the move take?

Yash said:
A Win2000 downgrade schedule will be announced. We are going to be shifting 30 to 40 accounts to Win2000 each night. We'll be checking each website ourselves to ensure it has happened correctly. This way, we hope to ensure its 100% transparent and downtime free.

This sounds like a much more realistic migration plan than has ever been done at Jodohost and to me this is the way it should be done...Unfortunately this means more work for Jodohost but in the end I think that unexpected glitches will be avoided and/or minimized.

Overall it should make for a better experience for us customers. That I can truly appreciate and as long as we are notified when this will be happening I don't think we could ask for better service than this.

Let's hope all goes well.

This all sounds good, but is'nt everyone who uses mssql1 going to ask to be moved?
so why not just move everyone in one go?
Rather than moving a couple at a time?

eko said:
A trace route from London shows that the acceleratebiz.com can be accessed much quicker than the other servers. Why don't you ensure that e.g. UK customers are shifted to the acceleratebiz.com servers?

Hmm, I live in the Netherlands and for me the ping time to acceleratebiz.com is much worse.

To Superb.net I get on above.net in Amsterdam, jump to the UK and eventually to the US on the same network, after which it continues on HopOne to destination. ping time is around 100ms total.

To Acceleratebiz.com I go to Amsterdam, get dumped on Opentransit which takes me to Frankfurt (wrong way guys), in Frankfurt it hops to the Level3 network, which takes me to London again and eventually all the way to the server on Level3 network. Pingtime about 145ms!

It takes about 65ms to cross the Atlantic, so I think it's a considerable detour. I've tested this for several days now and keep getting the same results.
I'm no expert on this, but to me Superb.net seems to have the better connectivity overall, using several backbone providers at once while Acceleratebiz.com seems restricted to Level3.

Still no advance notification and we're on day three now, my members have been struggleing with page loads of between 7 and 30 secs since i went to win5 and got the server lag, Traffic has gone down drastically and they'll be leaving en mass soon.

Pam, I'm very sorry. We ran into a few problems which we now sorted out. We'll be moving through with this very fast now..

Back